Author Topic: Isaac Cliff(e), Bradley, born 1807  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Cliff(e), Bradley, born 1807
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks. This is all confirming what I thought to be right but then had doubts about. Joshua(father of Isaac) was the son of another Joshua. I get problems with the earlier Joshua because other researchers who have a common interest in this tree have decided that Joshuas father was Thomas Cliffe 1713( I can't find any documentary support for that) whereas I do have a record for Joshua being the son of John Cliffe 1720 which makes more sense but conflicts with everyone else

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks. This is all confirming what I thought to be right but then had doubts about. Joshua(father of Isaac) was the son of another Joshua. I get problems with the earlier Joshua because other researchers who have a common interest in this tree have decided that Joshuas father was Thomas Cliffe 1713( I can't find any documentary support for that) whereas I do have a record for Joshua being the son of John Cliffe 1720 which makes more sense but conflicts with everyone else

I think you've summed it up - other people have submitted unsubstantiated evidence, whilst you DO have documentary evidence.  I know which one I'd choose  ;D  However, always bear in mind the other information.  ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 October 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Agreed, you have to go where the evidence takes you but it is a bit unsettling that nobody else agrees. One of the problems with online access to public family trees is that errors are circulated rapidly. If repeated often enough the fallacy becomes fact.

In another branch of my tree, the Darlings, I once put a name in as a place keeper just to indicate where I thought there might be a relevant link. That was "Theoretical Darling"and I thought it would be obvious what it was. I subsequently discovered that good old Theoretical had been copied into other trees without question and had acquired a wife and family. The cover story that made it plausible was that apparently he was called Theoretical because he was a minister of religion; clever of his family to know what he was going to become when he was baptised. If you search for him he's probably still out there breeding away. I did try to tell others of their error but they wouldn't have it, even when I said that I had created the name. ::) ???

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
My apologies - BUT if you have done your own research and are satisfied with the results then WHY are you questioning it because someone else has something different.

Let them get on with their own theories  :)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 October 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
There was room for a little dubiety but I think that has now been dispelled.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 October 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Just to give clarity, Distance of abt 1000 yards, Colne bridge road starts at Bradley in the Parish of Huddersfield and runs to across parish boundary to Colne bridge in Kirkheaton parish ~ Therefore Colne bridge abodes can appear in both parish registers of Huddersfield and Kirkheaton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that does give clarity and thank you for taking the trouble to research that.

The major point which has come out of these exchanges is that the the Bradley I was considering previously(near Skipton/Keighley) was the wrong one. I now know that there is a Bradley associated with Huddersfield. That fact, along with your comments about parish boundaries, makes a lot more records relevant.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
I was brought up in Huddersfield so not exactly research  ;D, Bradley is a major really big district of Huddersfield, from 2 council estates & private ones, major road junction on the main Leeds road,  a golf course, where Colne bridge is no more than a river bridge and a few rows of houses (still is) also an 18th/early 19th century mill that burned down with may lives lost in the 19th century. Further down Leeds road is Cooper bridge where a few parish boundaries meet being Huddersfield, Halifax parish,  ( but more Brighouse in Halifax parish) Kirkheaton and Mirfield. Halifax boundary does cause a lot of confusion on its boundary with Huddersfield & Kirkheaton parishes.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Ah, local knowledge, always best. Don't live in Yorkshire now but used to live in Bramhope,nr Otley, in my teens so I'm broadly familiar with the S. Yorks area.

Thanks for your comments.