Author Topic: Badge identification  (Read 4485 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Badge identification
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Have been searching everything I can find for this badge. I just realised what was/is bugging me about it.

Kings crown so should not have Victoria's cypher. But neither is it George V or George VI who both used variations of GR.

Most household cavalry badges I have looked at had the name of the regt and not the motto around the garter. There are some that do have the motto but they have GR in the centre.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 October 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
John - I was/am also bugged by something else (agree about the crown by the way).  I had also noted the similar badge on the horse furniture.

The cypher doesn't look right.  It looks "weedy" not as robust as the rest of the badge and as other centre pieces are.  So here's the overnight theory - it is a fake.  Someone (not the OP's father I am sure) with a little bit of skill has taken a badge with a GR cypher. knocked out the middle and substituted a home made VRI cypher.

How ''bout them apples?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon gentlemen,

Having read your posts I admit that it does appear strange. In the hope of progressing the problem I attach a photograph of the back of the badge. Also, if it helps, the badge is 1¾" tall by 1 and 1 sixteenth" across.

If it is a fake it does seem a great deal of effort for something that is so small and, assuming that my father had it from around the time of WWII, why bother. It will just mean that I won't include it when I have his medals and photograph framed and mounted.

George

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
The cypher doesn't look right.  It looks "weedy" not as robust as the rest of the badge and as other centre pieces are.  So here's the overnight theory - it is a fake.  Someone (not the OP's father I am sure) with a little bit of skill has taken a badge with a GR cypher. knocked out the middle and substituted a home made VRI cypher.

How ''bout them apples?

MaxD

That's a very good theory MaxD, I looked and searched till late last night and couldn't find anything like it.

I wonder if George could upload a photo of the back to see if it could offer any more clues.

Frank.

ADDED: Couldn't believe my eyes George, posts must have crossed.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
George, looking again at the photographs, I am now of the opinion that it's not been "Cobbled" together, I think looking at the rear discounts that theory, also on enlarging the first photograph the wear on the cypher looks to coincide with the wear on the rest of the badge.

It's a strange one, I'm sure MaxD, John915, and others will be along to offer advice.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
The back certainly looks as if my theory is blown out of the water - no problem with that!  It does look all of a piece.

Back to your library John!

Whatever, it is certainly not connected with George's father's WW2 service.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

After a little more research online ( not always 100% accurate) I have found out the following.

On digger history thay say that Victoria used both crowns at different times. Not sure that's true.

On the military badge forum they say the VRI was only used in India. No british regts used it, only VR, this concurs with my own research which shows that to be true.

I would have said no to your theory about cobbling together MaxD. To remain a brass colour it would have to be hard soldered ( brazing) which would require a lot of heat. The garter shows no loss of detail and braze is never exactly the same colour as brass.

John915

PS, I see that question is now resolved anyway.

PPS, Some Canadian badges have VRI but in block letters not as a cypher.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline George.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

For what it's worth, my father served in India 06/06/1945-07/10/1946.

George

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Apart from some Indian Regiments, the VRI cypher was also used by the 21st (Empress of India's) Lancers?
Their cap badge, and collars, were apparently issued with the King's Crown from 1902?

(From a 2010 post on the British Badge Forum)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)