Author Topic: Problems with Legacy  (Read 984 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Problems with Legacy
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else having problems with Legacy?  I have Legacy de luxe 7.5 (version 7.5.0.286) and if I've been working on it for a while it suddenly freezes - everything else I've got open, FindMyPast, Ancestry, etc. etc. work OK.  Is this a hint from Legacy that I need to update to their version 9?

I've tried to send a Support Ticket Form - guess what the program froze!  I did what I usually do, ctrl, alt, del and closed the program, then re-opened it.  I completed the form and pressed send and the program thinks I'm a robot and refused to send the ticket ::)  Fortunately, Legacy knows it can't get emails from Yahoo so there is an email address which I've now used.

Meanwhile, I just wondered if anyone else had any problems with Legacy and how they dealt with them.  I have got everything backed up so I guess if the worst came to the worst, I'll just have to upgrade to Legacy 9 which I'm reluctant to do even though there's an offer if you already have a de luxe program, but it's still $26+.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Legacy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
As no-one had a solution to Legacy crashing I thought I'd let you know what Legacy told me to do.

They told me to close Legacy, then go to C Drive, Legacy, open Legacy 7.5 and delete all .usr files.  I've done that but have no idea what .usr files are or what they do.  I've not used Legacy today as I'm going out shortly, but it will be interesting to see if this solves the problem.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Please keep this (and other) Legacy users posted Lizzie. I suggest that downloading the free version of Legacy 9 for a start might be a good idea and taking it on from there. I am updated onto paid version of 9, and have had no problems other than the icon in my toolbar was for Legacy 8 (I hadn't updated it!!) and of course it wouldn't let me open 9 data bases, once I caught up no further problems so far.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Roger - I don't know if it was related to deleting all the .usr files or a complete coincidence but the next day Legacy wouldn't open and I found every back up I'd made had disappeared into the ether - and as it kept freezing I was backing up every 10 minutes or so.

Fortunately, I have an external drive that backs up everything I do all day, so we managed to get all the back ups back on my laptop, so all was well apart from the fact I had to set up the tree to my liking, my changing fonts etc.

I could even buy a 9 de luxe but I'm not sure of the benefits.