Author Topic: Printer Problems  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Printer Problems
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
I see that on your snip the 'Actual Size ' shows as 5.75' x 7.75'  but other settings seem to contradict this - puzzling  :-\

(I assumed you were printing A4  as I didn't see the far right of the image on my laptop :)  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
To get the print you want, you need to get the image, including the border, in a 4 x 6 ratio.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
I have it in a 4x6 ratio & the borders are still not symmetrical no matter what size of border I ask for

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
To get  a ratio of 4x6 you would need to have the print size in the box that I've indicated in my previous post as 5.75 x 8.625  rather than 5.75 x 7.75.   (4x6 = 1x1.5)

If you just want a white border, you wouldn't neeed a border when printed on white paper.

Added - if you do want to add a border and print to the 4:6 ratio,  you should not make the border (not white)  the same all around but for each unit of extra width, you need to add 1.5 units of height. Believe me - I've been doing this type of print for over 20 years and before that using frames and mounts  for my photos and paintings.

If your original photo isn't a 4:6 ratio , then you'll never have it fitting unless you crop.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
I've created an image of ratio 4:6 in white (representing your paper)  and then created an image to the size shown in the print size on your screen shot (5.75 :7.75) in pink (representing your file).  The file below shows the result - which is what you have.

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget many thanks for all your replies, I'll have a go at your latest instructions, you really have spent a lot of time explaining to a geriatric. The old grey cells ain't what they used to be.