Author Topic: The Dove - 1801 - Kiltarlity (again)  (Read 1103 times)

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Dove - 1801 - Kiltarlity (again)
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

Another question about the Kiltarlity area. 

I have done dna testing Ancestry and Livingdna - I was surprised initially at the huge numbers of folk from USA and Canada that I matched reasonably well (given that i had 3 matches of 100 cMs or more).

One dna cousin got in touch, we match several ancestral names but their family has been in Nova Scotia since early 1800's.  During the email exchange I was told that one of their ancestors came over on the Dove.  Records exist and many folk sharing both my and their surnames from Kiltarlity and Kilmorack left for Pictou in 1801.  This will why I have so many matches living still in Nova Scotia and even Pictou to this day.

I will probably never get close as to who/how the folk were related to me - the earliest I have is Alexander Fraser b1825 but it is possible his Uncle, cousins or even sibling left for new pastures. I have twenty seven years between oldest and youngest sibling in one line- so know this is possible.

My questions are,  was this a forced eviction or economic migration and where can I find more information about this group of people leaving this area. 

I know I am sidetracking but its so fascinating! 

TIA

Offline Winkles92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Dove - 1801 - Kiltarlity (again)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 22 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I’m a descendant of the Fraser’s and Mackenzies from Kilmorack, still living near by.

I’m afraid it’s very hard to track them down and a lot of documents seem to be missing! However, send me a message and we can try and piece together some of it!