Author Topic: Looking for McAfee/Millican grave, poss Aghadowey  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Ben McCloskey Robinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for McAfee/Millican grave, poss Aghadowey
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all, wondering if anyone could help me find the graves of my great-great grandparents John McAfee and Lily Millican (sometimes spelt Milliken)? She was born in Englishtown area, 15/9/1906 and he was born 24/08/1906 Crossgare, Drumcroon.

I'm assuming the graves would be in a churchyard in the vicinity of Aghadowey, like all of my family's, but I don't know where to look as the family is religiously mixed, John and Lily married in the registry office in Coleraine, and John's parents were married in St Guaire's, despite his father being Roman Catholic.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Co. Derry - McFadden, McCloskey, McAfee, Millican, Elder, Graham, Grissam, Gault
Co. Tyrone - Robinson, Little, Potter, Crawford, Menary, Millar, Murphy, Hackett
Co. Armagh - Magowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for McAfee/Millican grave, poss Aghadowey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add that they were married on 16/3/1926 at the registrar in Coleraine, while she was pregnant with my great-grandmother!
Co. Derry - McFadden, McCloskey, McAfee, Millican, Elder, Graham, Grissam, Gault
Co. Tyrone - Robinson, Little, Potter, Crawford, Menary, Millar, Murphy, Hackett
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I know that the McAfee family Roman Catholic side buried in St Mary's, Cullycapple Road, Aghadowey.  I believe that a couple of generations down and this branch of the family would have been Protestants - the last McAfees buried in the Chapel graveyard would have been the local grocer and his wife who died circa 1960.  The nearest Church of Ireland churches would be St Guaires Aghadowey and Camus Juxta Bann in Macosquin Village where there have been McAfee residents over the years.
Unlikely for Presbyterian burials, but Englishtown and Crossgar possibilities.
I see you are also researching McFadden and Grissam in this area - I did a bit of research in that area on these names for a friend and collected quite a bit of stuff.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response! Yeah I might check the chapel, and maybe macosquin after. Don’t think they’re in St Guaires.

Yeah the McAfee’s are my grandfathers mothers family and the McFadden/Grissams are my grandmother’s father’s! If you had any info I’d love to see it! I’ve seen a lot of Grissam things already via this site!
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
McAfees of Clarehill buried Agivey Burying Ground before St. Mary's, Cullycapple.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help once again Aghadowey. I’ll check it out.

I was looking at a few maps, how do I have to go through someone’s farm on Glenkeen road to get to the burying ground?
Co. Armagh - Magowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help once again Aghadowey. I’ll check it out.

I was looking at a few maps, how do I have to go through someone’s farm on Glenkeen road to get to the burying ground?

Yes  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!