Author Topic: Seeking date and place of marriage of William Duncan  (Read 993 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Seeking date and place of marriage of William Duncan
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at this for years, and I wonder if some fresh eyes might shed some light. However please don't spend time looking for the Lacy family except insofar as it sheds light on William Duncan's marriage. It's William who is related to me, and I don't really need to know all about the Lacys other than Mary, if she is his wife.

1851 Census: 21 Moor Street, Blackburn (household of Catherine Conway, lodging house keeper, born Ireland)
Micheal Lacy                Lodger Mar 65  Chair bottomer                                        Ireland
Bridgett Lacy               Lodger Wid 45                                                                     Ireland
Mary Lacy                    Lodger Unm 17  Drawer at factory                                     Ireland
Ann Lacy                      Lodger 15  Creeler at factory                                     Ireland
Bridgett Lacy               Lodger 13  Scholar                                                     Ireland

1861 Census: 101 Penny Street, Blackburn, Lancashire
Michael Lacy                 Head Mar 56 Chair bottomer                                           Ireland
Bridget Lacy                 Wife Mar 40  Housekeeper                                           Ireland
Honor Lacy                   Daughter Unm 20  Cotton spinner                                           Ireland
Mary Lacy                    Daughter 22  Cotton spinner                                           Ireland
Michael Conway              Cousin Unm 13  Scholar                                                Yorkshire, Leeds
Bridget Tyman               Visitor Unm 28  Weaver cotton                                         Ireland

1871 Census: 14 Back Banks, Little Bolton, Lancashire
Bridget Lacy                Head Mar 56  Smallware dealer                              Ireland
Maria Riley                  Daughter 17                                                           Lancashire, Bolton
Mary Flanagan              Sister Unm 52  Hawker                                             Ireland

1871 Census: Lancashire Court, Westminster, London
Mary Lacy                    Head Wid 36  Laundress                                         Ireland
Bridgett Lacy               Daughter 10  Scholar                                              Marylebone
James Lacy                   Son 6  Scholar                                                      St George
William Lacy                 Son 1                                                                   St George

1881 Census: 118 Camden Road, Tonbridge, Kent
William Duncan            Head Mar 56  Painter and cabinet maker                Scotland, Murrayshire
Mary Duncan               Wife Mar 45                                                        Blackburn
Bridget Lacy                Mother-in-law Wid 66                                           Lancashire

1891 Census: 67 Beulah Road, Croydon
William Duncan            Head Mar 66  General dealer                               Scotland
Mary Duncan               Wife Mar 56                                                    Lancashire

1901 Census: 67 Beulah Road, Croydon
Mary Duncan                  Head Wid 63  General dealer                                 Blackburn
Kate McLaughlin             Visitor Unm 25   Independent means                        Blackburn
Harriet McLaughlin        Visitor Unm 21   Independent means                        Blackburn
Annie McLaughlin            Visitor Unm 19   Independent means                        Blackburn

Was William Duncan's wife Mary Lacy, and if so where and when were they married? I have William's baptism and death (Croydon, 1898), and reams of information about the rest of his family, but I have not found him in the 1851, 1861 or 1871 census. They were not married in Scotland, and I have not found a marriage in England or Wales, or indeed in Ireland.

Ideas, anyone?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking date and place of marriage of William Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
1871 Census: Lancashire Court, Westminster, London
Mary Lacy                    Head Wid 36  Laundress                                         Ireland
Bridgett Lacy               Daughter 10  Scholar                                              Marylebone
James Lacy                   Son 6  Scholar                                                      St George
William Lacy                 Son 1                                                                   St George

1881 Census: 118 Camden Road, Tonbridge, Kent
William Duncan            Head Mar 56  Painter and cabinet maker                Scotland, Murrayshire
Mary Duncan               Wife Mar 45                                                        Blackburn
Bridget Lacy                Mother-in-law Wid 66                                           Lancashire

So presumably Mary was a widow when she married William? Do you have him in 1881?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
I don't actually know if the one who is a widow in 1871 is the one who married William Duncan. Unless she was lying when she said she was a widow. I have failed to find the births of any of her children. If she is William's future wife, what did she do with baby William? I could be way off the mark! The only definite thing is that William's mother-in-law seems to have been Bridget Lacy, according to the 1881 census extract quoted.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Age is out slightly but there is a William Duncan, cabinetmaker, age 51, born Forres Moray living at 98 Cowgate, Edinburgh in 1871.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
The only definite thing is that William's mother-in-law seems to have been Bridget Lacy, according to the 1881 census extract quoted.

If Mary was a widow, Bridget would have been her mother in law wouldn't she, not really William's?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
Age is out slightly but there is a William Duncan, cabinetmaker, age 51, born Forres Moray living at 98 Cowgate, Edinburgh in 1871.
Hmmmm. Thank you!

The William I am interested in was born in Birnie, Moray not Forres, Moray, and was said in a newspaper article about his brother Joseph in 1891 to be a hardware dealer in London. But if there's another one born in Forres I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
The only definite thing is that William's mother-in-law seems to have been Bridget Lacy, according to the 1881 census extract quoted.

If Mary was a widow, Bridget would have been her mother in law wouldn't she, not really William's?
Indeed, but in the earlier census Bridget Lacy did have a daughter Mary of roughly the right age. The widowed laundress in London may be a complete red herring.

You can see why I am struggling with this one.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Bridgett Lacy                Daughter 10  Scholar                                              Marylebone

I can't find any registrations of those births to check mother's name.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm. Thank you!

The William I am interested in was born in Birnie, Moray not Forres, Moray, and was said in a newspaper article about his brother Joseph in 1891 to be a hardware dealer in London. But if there's another one born in Forres I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree.
According to FindMyPast this William (born Forres) was married, but no wife with him in 1871.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)