Author Topic: American records  (Read 2500 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American records
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Josephine - confusing is right! And that applies to many other members of her immediate family, too. I'm afraid I can't immediately quote the source but my notes read "She was buried on 16.4.30 at Mount Olivet Cemetery. Her parents’ names were given as Edward Kent and Rose Nurse...." so it was clearly an authoritative source, suggested to me by another Rootschat correspondent.

It was her daughter, also Effie Field, who married Burnley Seager. She is sometimes recorded as Effie Ofal Field, but I believe that to be a misreading of the census return, and should be Effie Opal Field.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Josephine - confusing is right! And that applies to many other members of her immediate family, too. I'm afraid I can't immediately quote the source but my notes read "She was buried on 16.4.30 at Mount Olivet Cemetery. Her parents’ names were given as Edward Kent and Rose Nurse...." so it was clearly an authoritative source, suggested to me by another Rootschat correspondent.

That death record is here - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W1G-XJ3

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
PAK - thanks for the clarification.

shellyesq - thanks for the link to the elder Effie's death record.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
PAK,

I can only find one mention of Burnley Seager (as a phrase) and it is in connection to his brother James M. Seager, who died in an explosion on a ship. (Of course, I can't be certain this is the same Burnley that you are researching.)

The following is my transcript of two articles:

Capital Journal
Salem, Oregon
Thurs., Nov. 8, 1951

[front page]

"Six Survivors Of Burned Ship Rescued at Sea

"Picked Up in Open Lifeboat – 5 of Crew Still Missing

"Seattle, Nov. 8 (AP) – Six seamen who survived a ship fire and explosion and 35 hours in an open lifeboat in rough seas were rescued in the North Pacific before dawn today.

"The dramatic rescue, when hope rapidly was running out, left six crew members of the India-bound wheat ship George Walton on the list of dead or missing.

"The Coast Guard said revised reports on the Tuesday disaster at sea were that one man was killed in the explosion and fire on the American government-owned freighter; 30 have been rescued; five are missing and presumed drowned.

"Four of the missing were lost from a lifeboat that flipped over in the unruly sea while rescue operations were under way and safety seemed almost within the men’s reach.

"List of Missing

"....James M. Seager, fireman-watertender, brother of Burnley Seager, 120 Beverly avenue, State [sic] Island, N.Y.... [I've redacted the other names in case anyone on the list is still living]

[page 6]

"Six Survivors

"(Continued from Page 1)

"The rescued were the last of the original crew of 36 of the American freighter George Walton, abandoned off the Washington coast after an explosion and fire late Tuesday. Twenty-four others were rescued from lifeboats, one was known dead aboard ship, and five were listed by the Coast Guard as missing and presumed drowned.

"The coast guard cutter Wachusett, one of an expanding fleet of search vessels, located the last known survivors drifting in the lifeboat 333 miles from Cape Flattery, northwesternmost tip of the United States.

"Hope was dwindling for the survival of the men when the Wachusett found them drifting 22 miles southeast of the Walton. The cutter radioed all were in good condition despite their 35-hour ordeal.

"The six picked up in the dramatic pre-dawn rescue today were [again, I've redacted the names in case any are still living]."

Capital Journal
Salem, Oregon
Sat., Nov. 24, 1951

"To Honor Men Who Died on Geo. Walton

"Portland, Nov. 24 (U.P.) – Wreaths will be dropped into the sea today at the site of the explosion of the vessel George Walton, in memory of two California sailors whose bodies were never recovered.

"The Walton sank while being towed into port after she was gutted by an explosion and fire Nov. 6 off the Washington coast.

"The men to be commemorated are James M. Seager of San Francisco and Arthur B. Waechtler of Berkeley. Both were in the engine room at the time  of the explosion."

PAK -- Perhaps there are other collections of digitized newspapers that will have articles pertaining to the people you are researching. Or perhaps you could write to a library in Staten Island and ask for a look-up, if they offer such a service.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters