Author Topic: Tom Beesley 1933 UK trip  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Beesley 1933 UK trip
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
I noticed that John Otty was an ENT  surgeon at Aberdeen Children's Hospital, Foresterhill. As I once worked as a researcher there, I followed the family. Mary Payton died in Bradford in the 1950s and John died there in 1974.

Not central to your photo searches but an interesting diversion.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Since we're a bit off topic...if you come across any Payton photos, especially of Rev Joseph Payton or his wife, I'd love to see them. They must have been quite prominent. The Rev Joseph Wattson Payton was married to Elizabeth Croydon Tildesley ( also I think a prominent family around Cannock )
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 18 January 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Canals might be easier to identify. The  wall, etc. might be under a roundabout or a motorway by now!
  :-\
I did some searches for various tudor stately houses/gardens etc in Cheshire, Wirral and North Wales on Frith's site but nothing so far.

Hi Gadget,
                I have some new info on this set of photos and I now believe it could be Wirral as you guessed or possibly Wallasey. The people I was trying to identify in the photo with Tom and Iris Beesley, could be a Dr John Bond who lived in Hoylake in 1911. His daughters seem to have remained unmarried. Their names were Hilda Macpherson Bond and Mary Eunice Hunter Bond. The elderly lady could have been their mother, Maria Jesse Ramsay Bond ( nee MacPherson ) although the info I have shows that she died in 1932. There was a third daughter named Maria Jesse E Bond. All the daughters were close in age. I know this is a while back, but maybe this new info may shine some light.
Thanks all,
Brian Hunter Beesley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 18 January 18 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Glad you've got some new info.  Here's a map showing the Wirral pensinsular, showing Hoylake and Wallasey :)

https://tinyurl.com/y9x892pz

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if nobody has identified these places I will
First one is Mostyn Square, Parkgate, Wirral. Its where the bus stop is now outside the Church.
Second one is outside the Devon Doorway, Heswall, Wirral.
Ray

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 January 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Ray,
       I agree with your solutions; most certainly the Devon Doorway photo and they both fit very well into what was probably the day's sight-seeing during the 1933 visit.
I'm bringing up today's Google Earth street view of Mostyn Square and I'm trying to align the view from the old photo with how it is today and the building in the background.
 It has to be where you say though. Heading in from the Parade there is no sidewalk down the right-hand street, and on the left-hand street, the wall is only three stones high. That just leaves the corner, as you say, where the bus stop is. In the old picture on the right is some lettering "PA" and under that and "H" I wonder if that could have been "Parish" on the top letters? Or maybe "Parkgate"?
Excellent detective work, and much thanks.
Brian