Author Topic: Grandparent's Tacy maiden name Roecliff born 1913 Grandfather Samuel Neil  (Read 7539 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandparent's Tacy maiden name Roecliff born 1913 Grandfather Samuel Neil
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
The address where to send it is on the form. Most British people fill in that form and pay by card and post it to the Roscommon address on the form. The 4 Euros that comes out usually appears as 3 pound something on my bank statement. Great value for money.

Blue

I sent it off from England with a five Euro note in the envelope. Wasn't expecting it but got a cheque back a few weeks later for a small amount of change!
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline bambam1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 06 November 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
The one certificate you really need is that of their marriage in 1948 - from this you'll get his age, plus the name of his father. 

Annette
Think the first marriage was to a Curry there is a Curry/ Rocliffe birth 1945, don't want to post the name if still living.

If there was a marriage to a Curry, then the second marriage wouldn't be as Rocliffe would it, it would be as Curry?

Yes that's the one that's an aunt  only found out the name curry tonight also   Was there  a mention of any other children in that marriage  groom?
And thank. You  ;D
Posted 1st class recorded for the tacy marriage certificate so hopefully should get via email posted last Thursday 🙏🏼 want to thank each & everyone of you guys for your help you have all been amazing 👌🏼 can't show enough appreciation for your time & effort you guys put into helping people Like me thank you so very much hopefully the certificate will give more  insight to this family confusion 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Offline bambam1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 06 November 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
That great news bambam.
Thank you Sinann 👌🏼

Offline bambam1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 16 November 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Guys certificate arrived Marriage - 17/3/1948  - Samuel Patric O'Neill age 26 - Bachelor - seaman- father Samuel O'Neill profession - Labourer (decd)

Tacey Sarah  Rocliffe - age 34 - Spinster -  Father - William Rocliffe - profession - Bookbinder (Decd)
Much appreciation to everyone

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 16 November 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, these are my thoughts re. Samuel Patrick O'Neill.   You already knew he was in the Merchant Navy and the marriage certificate would confirm this - also, from this we now know at the time of the marriage on 17/3/1848  he was 26 i.e. born late 1921 or early 1922.

From the get go I have wondered why they moved from Ireland to Salford - why Salford?   Is this because it's where Samuel himself hailed from?   I think it may well indeed be that.

A plain Samuel O'Neill born 22/11/1921 died in Salford in April 1985.
A plain Samuel O'Neill birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1921 Salford - mmn Platt.

A Samuel O'Neill married a Sarah Jane Platt in the June quarter 1920 Salford - their son Samuel born 1921 seems to have been their only child and both Sarah and son are in Salford 1939 (unable to give details here due to copyright).   Sarah Jane Platt seems to have been born in Salford ca.1897 but the only death entry I can see for a Samuel O'Neill in Salford was one bc.1868 who died Mar.qtr.1924 Salford which datewise could explain why Samuel and Sarah had only one child but this would mean that Samuel senior was some 30 years older than Sarah??   Who knows?  It's possible, of course, but only the marriage certificate of Samuel and Sarah can help here.

Samuel Patrick O'Neill married as such in 1948 - however, there is no birth entry in this full name ca.1921/22 in England (or Ireland) suggesting he may well have added the second name himself or maybe it was an added name at baptism which he didn't generally use - again, who knows?

I still think that 'Salford' is the key here - why would Tacy and Samuel (a merchant navy man) settle in Salford unless one of them had links there - we know it wasn't Tacy herself whereas the Samuel born 22/11/1921 to Samuel O'Neill and Sarah Jane Platt was born/lived there and presumably his widowed mother was still there when they moved there in 1951.

It all makes sense to me but will see what others following this thread think.

Annette   

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bambam1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 17 November 17 08:46 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, these are my thoughts re. Samuel Patrick O'Neill.   You already knew he was in the Merchant Navy and the marriage certificate would confirm this - also, from this we now know at the time of the marriage on 17/3/1848  he was 26 i.e. born late 1921 or early 1922.

From the get go I have wondered why they moved from Ireland to Salford - why Salford?   Is this because it's where Samuel himself hailed from?   I think it may well indeed be that.

A plain Samuel O'Neill born 22/11/1921 died in Salford in April 1985.
A plain Samuel O'Neill birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1921 Salford - mmn Platt.

A Samuel O'Neill married a Sarah Jane Platt in the June quarter 1920 Salford - their son Samuel born 1921 seems to have been their only child and both Sarah and son are in Salford 1939 (unable to give details here due to copyright).   Sarah Jane Platt seems to have been born in Salford ca.1897 but the only death entry I can see for a Samuel O'Neill in Salford was one bc.1868 who died Mar.qtr.1924 Salford which datewise could explain why Samuel and Sarah had only one child but this would mean that Samuel senior was some 30 years older than Sarah??   Who knows?  It's possible, of course, but only the marriage certificate of Samuel and Sarah can help here.

Samuel Patrick O'Neill married as such in 1948 - however, there is no birth entry in this full name ca.1921/22 in England (or Ireland) suggesting he may well have added the second name himself or maybe it was an added name at baptism which he didn't generally use - again, who knows?

I still think that 'Salford' is the key here - why would Tacy and Samuel (a merchant navy man) settle in Salford unless one of them had links there - we know it wasn't Tacy herself whereas the Samuel born 22/11/1921 to Samuel O'Neill and Sarah Jane Platt was born/lived there and presumably his widowed mother was still there when they moved there in 1951.

It all makes sense to me but will see what others following this thread think.

Annette   

Hi Annette
Thank you for replying .. I sincerely appreciate all the help & time you guys have put into this topic for me & mum  you have all been amazingly kind  thank you 👏🏼👏🏼  I was told off mum her father was originally from Salford surname was neill and the O got added for some reason..  Mum also believed her parents were married in Salford England. Which isn't the case.
I suppose back in those days you just took what ever little your parents told you were the truth etc as she also  said she had an Aunt Nelly Roecliffe so it has been confusing ???
Mum also believed her great grandmother Roecliffe had originated from America  ???
Would it be possible to attach the marriage certificate to the post?
As some of the witness named is a bit hard to read but don't know if it's possible or allowed by RC
Policy.
Massive thank you once again to each & everyone of you
Xx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
As some of the witness named is a bit hard to read but don't know if it's possible or allowed by RC

You may post a small portion of the certificate to help with deciphering.

Not saying that the Samuel O'Neill born in Salford district isn't the correct person but Northern Ireland births after 1921 do not appear in online indexes. Also Scotland to consider?
A Samuel O'Neill born 1920 Belfast-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FB1N-4WY

There were at least 2 Samuel Patrick O'Neills born Scotland in 1920s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bambam1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 17 November 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply... My mum and dad said her dad was defiantly born Salford and met Tacy while over in Ireland with the navy
Thanks again guys 👍🏼

Offline bambam1302

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 18 January 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »

You may post a small portion of the certificate to help with deciphering.

Not saying that the Samuel O'Neill born in Salford district isn't the correct person but Northern Ireland births after 1921 do not appear in online indexes. Also Scotland to consider?
A Samuel O'Neill born 1920 Belfast-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FB1N-4WY

There were at least 2 Samuel Patrick O'Neills born Scotland in 1920s.
my father seems to think Samuel was born in Scotland  could this shred any light to this puzzle ?
Regards