Author Topic: Llangyfelach Parish Records  (Read 6517 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llangyfelach Parish Records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
The 1841 "rounded" census gives his age as 25,suggesting,if anything,younger rather than older.

Other possibilities?

Registered in the "anglicised" version?(there is a non-con John Rees,1810,Llangyfelach-I'll see if I can find him in the censuses).

Adult baptism?

"Hiding" in patronymics?

Regards
Roger

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:08 BST (UK) »

Those are both very valid possibilities Roger...

It does seem curious to marry in a Church of England Church and then Baptise your son in a Weslyan Methodist Chapel 6 yrs later. But he might have been converted and re baptised?

And the John is certainly a possibility that I hadn't considered.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately,I can find quite reasonable candidates,in 1851,for the Evan Rees baptised 1801,and the John Rees baptised 1810.Back to the drawing board..

Regards
Roger

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Bevbee has often helped folks in South Wales with their family history so maybe you could try to contact her too.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
a marriage in a non-conformist church before civil registration would not have been legal. All marriages had to be in the established church apart from for Quakers & Jews after Hardwicke's Marriage Act. So no problem with marrying in the parish church & then attending the Wesleyan Church.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
a marriage in a non-conformist church before civil registration would not have been legal. All marriages had to be in the established church apart from for Quakers & Jews after Hardwicke's Marriage Act. So no problem with marrying in the parish church & then attending the Wesleyan Church.

Thanks Osprey,
For explaining that. I didn't know that was the case, but it would explain the apparent disparity between the Marriage and Baptism.
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline madyliz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 October 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
hi romilly
I am at the archives now and have checked the llangyfelach registers , under which St Teilo came but with no luck I went 10 years forward as well as noted there were quite a few baptisms of older children noted down so thought just in case he was one of his families job lot!!! lol
the archives do not seem to have any records of this church so they say it is quite likely the church had not agreed to digitise them until recently, as you say. I would think your best bet is to write to the present vicar and ask if they have been and if so where or can you look for them.
In the past before all these digitised records were about I have written to a few vicars across the country and been very lucky in that they have taken a digital picture of entry for me and forwarded it. Worth a try.
good luck
Liz :)
Hoffman
Davison
Saville
Hussey
Jones
Humphreys/ies
Bowen

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 October 17 17:56 BST (UK) »

Many thanks indeed for looking Liz, - greatly appreciated.

I will try writing to the Vicar, and see if I get any response!

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 October 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure this helps particularly,but just in case:

The image for the 1830 record gives both of Morristo(w)n,but FreeReg has nothing for baptism of Evan under Morriston.

BMD registers has a record for Anne Williams,1811,Bethel Calvinistic Chapel,LLangyfelach.While Archer Software has a batch number for this chapel for IGI/Family Search,the record does not come up under it,but probably does appear just under Llangyfelach RG4-3885(the same code as the BMD registers).The records for this Bethel only start in 1811(just missing Evan?)
There are earlier records for a Bethel Independent under Llangyfelach and Llansamlet(RG4-3497),from 1794,but again BMD has a record for 1801 which does not appear in FamilySearch,the only one being 1821.

If I have the correct death record under GRO,it gives a birth of 1810 or 1811.
Perhaps he was born elsewhere and only had the residential qualification to be otp for purposes of marriage.

Regards
Roger