Author Topic: Llangyfelach Parish Records  (Read 6333 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Llangyfelach Parish Records
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 10:50 BST (UK) »

I believe that the Parish Records for The Parish of Llangyfelach with St Teilo on the Clase have been digitalised and are searchable on one of the Swansea.gov.uk Sites?

I've searched, and I can't find them... The time frame that I'm interested in is Baptisms 1800 - 1840.

Is anyone on here able to post a Link please? (N.B These records are not available on any of the usual Sites, e.g Family Search/Ancestry/FindMyPast etc).

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llangyfelach Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

I like you have heard their records have been digitised and wonder if one or more officers of the church have a copy of, or knowledge of copies of their records?

Have you tried contacting officers of the church?

They have both an old (very old) and a new website, however my preferred search engine only seems able to find the Old Website!!!

Their new website makes no mention of assistance with Family Research although they do have a Contact Us page at: http://www.parishofllangyfelachwithclase.org.uk/contact.html

I wonder if you were to give that page a whirl whether there might be a successful outcome?

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 17 23:08 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for your reply JohnG, - I will try that Site tomorrow, and see if I can make any progress.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Romilly,

Going back to your original post you ask:

..  ..  .. 
Is anyone on here able to post a Link please? (N.B These records are not available on any of the usual Sites, e.g Family Search/Ancestry/FindMyPast etc).

Cheers, Romilly.

There are two substantial sized cabinets of newspaper archives (microfilm format??) and several cabinets of Ordnance Survey maps on the first floor of the 'Civic Centre Branch' of the library service, open Tuesday through to Sunday see: http://www.swansea.gov.uk/libraries

Then on the Ground Floor are the Public Reading Rooms of "West Glamorgan Archives" where access to a multitude of paper and electronic records is available, many from nearby shelves and even more by request from where ever the store room is, their Contact Us details are: http://www.swansea.gov.uk/westglamorganarchives

JohnG_Swansea

Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:29 BST (UK) »

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Have you tried www.freereg.org.uk?
Example using Jones
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/59eddfe7791e3b7cb88e6118
Regards
Roger

Thanks Roger, - yes, I have tried that Site. However, I wonder if the records are complete on it?

I'm looking for my G/G/Grandfather Evan Rees, Born (Approx) 1810, - (Taken from Census entries). I can't find him on there, or on any of the other Sites.

JohnG, I'm in Hertfordshire, and so it's not easy for me to visit the Archives in Swansea.

I had wondered if the Baptismal records might still be with the Church? (I know that to be the case in some parts of the country). And of course it's quite possible that Evan Rees wasn't Baptised in Llangyfelach...Although he gives it as his Parish on his Marriage Record:

Glamorgan Marriage Index pre-1837 Transcription
First name(s)   EVAN
Last name   REES
Birth year   -
Marriage year   1830
Marriage day   20
Marriage month   Jul
Marriage place   LLANGYFELACH
Spouse's first name(s)   ANNE
Spouse's last name   WILLIAMS
Bride's parish   LLANGYFELACH
Groom's parish   LLANGYFELACH
Notes   personal detail in the register, after banns, Witnesses named
County   Glamorganshire
Country   Wales
Record set   Glamorgan Marriage Index pre-1837.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline madyliz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
hi Romily
I have asked on a swansea group I belong to one of the members works in the archives so will let you know if she comes up with anything, if not next week I may be able to visit for you. Fingers crossed
Liz x
Hoffman
Davison
Saville
Hussey
Jones
Humphreys/ies
Bowen

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
I can find non-conformist records for Llangyfelach,but the Evan Rees(1801) looks too old fr your census estimate.Anne Williams,different chapel but stilll Llangyfelach is given as 1811.

Regards
Roger

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
I can find non-conformist records for Llangyfelach,but the Evan Rees(1801) looks too old fr your census estimate.Anne Williams,different chapel but stilll Llangyfelach is given as 1811.
Regards
Roger

Hi Roger,

This is the 1851 Census Entry for Evan Rees:

Registration district: Swansea
Sub-registration district: Llandilo

Piece: 2465
Folio: 299
Page Number: 54
Household schedule number: 196
Household Members:

Evan Rees 40
Anne Rees 39
William Rees 19
Anne Rees 17
Evan Rees 14
Elizabeth Rees 11
David Rees 9
John Rees 6
Thomas Rees 4
Daniel Rees 2.

His age in 1851 is given as 40yrs, and so giving him an (Approx) DOB of 1810/1811. Unless the age on the 1851 is wrongly transcribed?  He married Anne Williams, born 1812 at Llangyfelach Parish Church on the 11th April 1830. Anne died on the 11th April 1853.
 His son, (also Evan Rees, my GreatGrandfather, 1836 - 1927) was Baptised in the Wesleyan Tabernacle Chapel in Tontine Street Swansea in December 1836, - and so it's quite likely that his father was also a Chapel Baptism, - but I can't see one for him...

Many thanks Liz for the help as well.

Romilly.
Researching: