Author Topic: Joseph Austin b. circa 1763 circa, married Mary Lea in Little Budworth 1802  (Read 606 times)

Offline Lorna Bowden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi,

Joseph Austin was my 4th Great Grandfather. He was born circa 1763 and died in Little Budworth in 1823. He married a Mary Lea (born in Coppenhall) but I am struggling to figure out his origins of birth.

There are a couple of options that a very kind Cheshire historian has put to me which I share below:
Would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have more info.

We know that Mary Lea came from Coppenhall, so where did Joe come from? - he was not born in the parish as he cannot be found in the registers. A clue comes from Richard and Nancy (Ann) Austin who had a child, William, baptised at St Peter's, L. Budworth, in 1802. He is likely to be Joe's brother, given that Joe's first born was named Richard. Perhaps the two brothers journeyed together in search of work and came into L. Budworth.

Richard Austin senior's son, William, appears in the 1851 census with his family living at Baddiley (near Nantwich). The entry shows that William was born in L. Budworth in 1802 and that his wife was Mary and their daughter was Elizabeth who was born in Baddiley in 1825.

Richard also occurs in the 1851 census living at Spring Lane Hall, Baddiley, and is shown as having been born in Wybunbury in 1767: he died four years later and was buried at Baddiley. In the census he is recorded living with his daughter Ann who was born in 1804 at Ashley, parish of Bowdon (in fact the couple had a number of children baptised at Bowdon between 1804 and 1812, and one at Whitegate), and her husband Samuel Lewis. In 1841, Richard lived at Spring Lane Hall Farm, Baddiley with his wife Ann, both then well into their 70s but still farming. Ann died in 1847 aged 78 years (born 1769). A Richard Austin married Anne Clayton in January 1792 at Davenham who may be the couple.

So, if Richard was born in Wybunbury parish, and your Joseph was his brother, then I presume that Joseph was also born there. Within the parish is the village of Blakenhall. In the parish registers there are two interesting christenings: Joseph Astin in January 1762 and Richard Astin in January 1767, along with two other boys, John and Thomas. They were all sons to Thomas Astin of Blakenhall. The Joe of 1762 could be your Joe- remember there was no such thing as standard spelling in those days - phonetic.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Austin b. circa 1763 circa, married Mary Lea in Little Budworth 1802
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
It is more than possible that the Austin family came to Little Budworth to work - the Egerton family owned Oulton Park from 1567, and they did seem to "import" staff to work for them (explanation given to me was that in this way, the staff could not just walk off home!!!).  There is also a burial entry at St Peter - 13 May 1804 - Thos. a child of Joseph Austin.

At one time I did research the census entries for Little Budworth, and found that the majority of the staff at Oulton Park and Whitehall, were not local.  I used to live in Little Budworth, hence my interest in the village.  :D

Added:  Just as a matter of interest, did you notice that Jane Austin was a witness to Joseph and Mary's marriage in 1802?
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
My ancestors are on the 1767 papist returns at Lytham Hall. When William Benson died in 1783 in Lytham I was amazed to find a settlement order returning his widow and younger children to Little Budworth. I have never found any Benson records there. I did wonder how William gained settlement in Little Budworth when he never gained settlement in Lytham and could only guess he was actually born there. William's parents were born in Lytham and were servants at Lytham Hall in 1767. Perhaps earlier they were servants to the Egertons. cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Lorna!

There is a little snippet in the Chester Chronicle, dated 07 Sep 1850, which may tie in with your Austins:

2nd inst. at Little Budworth, by the Rev. Mr White, Mr. J. Wilkinson, Lay Clerk of Chester Cathedral, to Mary, only daughter of the late Mr. Joseph Austin, of Little Budworth.
- On the same day, Mr. James Austin, to Miss Martha Barlow, of the same place.

-----

Chester Chronicle 06 Mar 1858

3rd inst., aged 90, Mary, relict of the late Mr. Jospeh Austin, of Little Budworth.

Offline Lorna Bowden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your comprehensive contributions and replies and so quick too!

I am pretty convinced now that my Joseph Austin originated from Wybunbury along with his brother Richard Austin who ended up in Baddiley. 

The search will continue and hopefully in can find out more about Thomas Astin who I believe was Joseph's father. 

Thanks again. 

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Can I revive this topic which I've just seen. Thomas Astin of Blakenhall was the son of James Austin, a yeoman farmer of Blakenhall and Mary née Bourne. James was my 6x paternal g. grandfather, born about 1710. He is one of my brick walls and haven't been able to find his origin. Are there any suggestions.

Don Tomkinson