Author Topic: Steventon PRs 1596  (Read 763 times)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Steventon PRs 1596
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Having posted incorrectly on the OXF board I'll try again here.

I'm not asking for a look-up as such because transcripts in different datasets are quite variable, so I think the register's nigh-on illegible.  But I would be interested to know if the PR for this parish and year is written in chronological order, with CMBs all mixed up, or if they are separated out into sections.

This stems from a 1596 bap and burial.  IGI has bap on 16 Sep.  OXF-AB03 has what I presume is the same bap (since both sources have only one bap) on 21 Sep and a bur on 18 Sep.  Surname DEARING or DEERING.  Did the bap predate the burial or vice versa?

I'm not imagining that a baby cold in the ground was baptised three days after he was buried.  One of the bap dates will be wrong.  If it's the later one then the burial was probably (although not conclusively) an infant death, whereas if the bap follows the burial it's suggestive of a child being named after another recently-deceased family member and there's a possibility that he grew up and had children etc etc.

We probably all have opinions - I certainly do - but if the PR is in strict chronological order (and my luck is that it won't be, but I don't want to invite wider discussion until I know for certain) then it could shed some light on this conundrum.  The nature of FH is that the answer to one question will give rise to at least two more, and believe me I have a list already  ;D

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steventon PRs 1596
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:49 BST (UK) »

I have the Steventon transcriptions on fiche and there is just one DEARING  baptisim William s William on the 21st September 1596, and one buriel William DEERING on the 18 September 1596 there is no indication of age so the buriel could be an older William

Kim :)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Steventon PRs 1596
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Kim but as you say this is a transcription.  Unless one exists that says it is in the same order the register was originally written - perhaps a transcriber's notes - I think that sight of the PR really is the only way forward here.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON