Author Topic: "Rushbearing Wrestling Contests"  (Read 945 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Rushbearing Wrestling Contests"
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Sirs,
my name is Mr. Ruslan Pashayev and I am wrestling fan and scholar from Delaware, Ohio of USA.
My post is about traditional "Rushbearing Wrestling Contests". Wrestling matches were part of Sunday Markets, Wakes, Rushbearings and other local folk festivals in Yorkshire, South Lancashire (Salford Hundred) and Cheshire. The wrestling they practiced was known under the name of - Catch-as-catch-can.

I am not sure if this tradition exists in all local towns, as it was in 1800's, but at least it is still present in Upper Mill, Saddleworth as part of the annually held folk festival, carnival The Rushcart Lads. If anyone has any info on this subject please let me know. I'd highly appreciate that. I wonder if local libraries/archives/museums/galleries at Upper Mill, Greenfield, or some other local places have something on it.

Recently I have discovered one of the most famous champion wrestlers of Yorkshire - George Swithenbank (aka "Muck George") of the Junction, Saddleworth. Swithenbank was born in the early-mid 1820's and in the mid-late 1840's he became the most prominent champion wrestler of Yorkshire and South Lancashire. He wins big wrestling championship tourney in Bury, Lancashire in 1846. Goes to Camden Town, London in 1849 representing Yorkshire and Lancashire at famous Cornish Style Championship. Swithenbank was associated with other best wrestlers of the 40's - Adam Ridings (aka "Dockum") of Bury and William Buckley (aka "Trout") of Oldham. Swithenbank was the GREATEST wrestler in the 1850's and he was still wrestling in the early 1860's. At his prime Swthenbank was 5ft 10 1/2 (180cm) tall and his weight was around 170lb (12st).

Thanks. Kind regards, Ruslan Pashayev

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Rushbearing Wrestling Contests"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Upper Mill - Saddleworth - Rushcarts - Wrestling Championship Contest.