Author Topic: Hunt family of Inkberrow  (Read 1092 times)

Offline RodChasH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunt family of Inkberrow
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
My 7xGreat Grandfather Richard Hunt (1615-1685) was born and died in Inkberrow, he was married to Joanne Ransley and his parents I believe were Rychard Hunt and Alyce/Alyse Farr who were married in Kington (near Inkberrow) in 1598.

I believe there were quite a lot of Hunts in Inkberrow and I was wondering whether anyone had any knowledge of them. Noakes guide to Worcestershire (1867) lists a Mr R. Hunt as a principal landowner although my own branch had long since moved away.

Enigmatically Noakes states that George Lench, Thomas Hunt, Arthur Bagshawe, Edmund Bearcroft, John Fincher, and Thomas Hames, or Haines, all esquires of Inkberrow, were among the Worcestershire gentlemen whom Charles I fined for not accepting the order of knighthood

On the face of it that sounds like they had declined a knighthood. It seems odd that so many should have been offered to Inkberrow men and bizarre that they would all have declined. Am I missing something here. Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any information.
Hunt (Worcestershire, Warwickshire), Smith (Devon), Ashwin, Sanford,

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunt family of Inkberrow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Since the king was about to lose the civil war and get his head chopped off, along with his supporters,
I guess they decided he was not the best mate to have :) :)

Mike

Offline RodChasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
Yes I rather thought that. Just thought it odd that 6 people from one fairly obscure village would have been offered a knighthood. Would it have been something along the lines of "fight for the Royalist cause and you will become a knight"?

Offline RodChasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Think I may have found an answer. Noakes got his Charles's mixed up. After the restoration in 1660 the Order of Knights of the Royal Oak was proposed. This was to be county based and lists of suitable recipients who had remained loyal to Charles II in his exile were drawn up for each county. The proposal never went ahead because it was felt it was contrary to a hoped for spirit of reconciliation.

Maybe these men had declined to be placed on the list, they certainly weren't included on the proposed list or possibly as prominent men from the area they had opposed the whole idea?