Author Topic: Richard Jones, Salem Cottage Blaenau Ffestiniog  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Jones, Salem Cottage Blaenau Ffestiniog
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for someone who has access to a book “Senedd ‘Siniog” by Ernest Jones, a history of local government in the Ffestiniog area which was published in 1974.
From my researches it appears that my Father’s paternal Grandfather, Richard Jones, Salem Cottage, was a prominent member of the Blaenau Ffestiniog community in the early part of the last century. Originally from Penmachno and Capel Garmon he worked his way up from quarryman to being one of the managers at the Oakeley Slate Quarry. In 1914 he was elected as a councillor to the Ffestiniog District Council and subsequently became a Chairman in 1919.
I have come across a summary of “Senedd ‘Stiniog” http://www.cyngortrefffestiniog.cymru/Other%20documents/Senedd%20Stiniog%20GTJ%20v10%20(S).pdf
The only information relevant to me is that Richard’s name is among the 70 past Chairmen listed in the summary. However, there is a photograph (attached) of the District Council in 1920-21 and guess that GGrandfather is amongst them, possibly front row centre. If anyone has access to the book possibly in a library in the locality (I am some 200 miles away) would you, please check if this photograph is in the book and whether there is a index of the members names. I would also be interested if there is any mention of Richard.

Regards

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Jones, Salem Cottage Blaenau Ffestiniog
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
Not an answer to your query,but in case you haven't seen them - a few newspaper snippets

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kxl/

Regards
Roger

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
Thanks for the info, there appears to be more than a few snippets a reflection that Richard was involved in so many activities including an elder in Bethesda Chapel and a supervisor on the North Wales Wesleyan Circuit. On a quick scan there are some articles I do not remember seeing before and will therefore look at them in greater detail.

Regards

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Ordered copy of Senedd Stiniog on loan from Gwynedd Library to be collected from Porthmadog Library - will take a few days to arrive.
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr
I trust you are well. Thank you for ordering the book from the library. I look forward to any information you can glean about Richard the father of my paternal grandfather also named Richard and whose grave you kindly traced last month.

Hwyl
Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 November 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The photograph does not appear in the book. There are pictures of the Council officials in 1938, the first Council members (1895), 1938 members and last members(1974), but no names. The list of the Chairmen does not include dates. There is a Richard Jones in the list but not necessarily your Richard, and can see no other reference to him.
1901 Census Richard was at Llwyngell, then moved to Salem Cottage.
Found following info in a Welsh language journal:
Richard born 1858 at farmhouse Henriw Uchaf, Penmachno, his grandmother's home. (Abel listed there in 1851 Census as son-in-law. Number of spelling variations in place name. Same family there 1841 -1891 Censuses, remaining members died 1892, 1896, 1898.)
Richard married Miss Catherine Roberts, daughter of Mr Robert and Ellen (Ellin) Roberts, Pant y Pwll, Capel Garmon. (Minffordd, Capel Garmon 1861 Census). After marrying moved to live to Capel Garmon. Family moved to Blaenau Ffeestiniog in 1895 when he was appointed Deputy Manager of Oakley Quarry. (Marriage Festiniog Q1 1878  11b 512 agrees with 1911 Census married 33 yrs.)

Problem with Capel Garmon area as appears under different Parish names in Censuses . Place names appear on 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps, quite close to villages of Penmachno and Capel Garmon. Map viewing free on National Library of Scotland website.
Emyr 

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 November 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr
I am sorry to put you to so much trouble obtaining the book when it provided little more detail than was in the summary. I was hoping a book of over 100 pages would have some information on Richard. I have sent an e-mail to the Council asking if they can help. However, the other information you have provided has given me food for thought. I did not know that the Abel, Elizabeth and children were still at Henrhiw Uchaf in 1858. By 1861 they were no longer there although I have been unable to find them in the Census. In the 1871 Census they were living at 8 Mary Street, Penmachno 5679/11/10.
One difficulty of researching Welsh ancestry is that there are so many people with the identical names (I spent years searching for the ubiquitous John Jones). Penmachno and Capel Garmon both came under the Llanrwst registration area and therefore I have gone for Llanrwst Q4 1877 11B 629 301 for the marriage of Richard Jones and Catherine Roberts. In 1881 they were living Frondeg Street, Penmachno but moved by the following year to 2 Mountain View, Capel Garmon, where my Grandfather was born in 1885. This was one of a row of six cottages which may have been built by Catherine’s father since they were built directly in front of his farmhouse Pant-y-pwll.
The date of promotion to Deputy Manager in 1895 is interesting since this was about the time he appeared as a witness at The Merionethshire Slate Mines Enquiry.
https://www.aditnow.co.uk/documents/Oakeley-Slate-Mine/Oakeley-Slate-Pt-2.pdf
“Richard Jones, from Capel Garmon, above Bettws y Coed, and who also worked at the Middle Quarry as a rockman and had done so for some 18 years, gave evidence that the workings were inspected from time to time by the management with a "Wells" type of oil lamp. He also stated that the men were not allowed to work in any dangerous places that the management knew of, any defects being attended to at once. He stated that there had been a great improvement in the care taken by management within his memory, but not so much in other quarries as in the Oakeley. He was unaware of any unwillingness on the part of men to come forward because they feared "the displeasure of the agents or owners." He had come, he said, because the workmen and masters had asked him to, although he did not represent any particular group or party.”
Many thanks again Emyr for the help you have provided me.
Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Cloincidence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hey Glynm, I hope this message finds you well.

I've recently started researching my family tree and have just come across this potentially very enlightening post of yours and had to send you a message!

The marriage certificate of my great grandparents, John Robert Jones and Margaret Alice Evans gives Salem Cottage, Rhiw Blaenau Ffestiniog as John's address, and Richard Jones 'Slate quarry agent' as his father. Their marriage was on the 23rd of August 1911.

It looks like we may actually be distantly related!  I've attempted to research my family tree before however as I have very little information about John Robert Jones it has always come to a dead-end before. 

I would be very thankful if you were are able to confirm if this Richard Jones is in fact the father of John Robert Jones.  Also if that's the case I would be very interested to find out a lot more about him.

Best Wishes, Clo