Author Topic: Family Search family trees  (Read 1005 times)

Offline R.Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Search family trees
« on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, would anybody be able to advise me as to where the information on Family Search family trees comes from if all the updates say they were made by "FamilySearch" rather than a user?

I'm looking at a family tree record (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/MZBH-2PL/details) for an individual named Andrew Robert James Johnston Lowry and it gives a date and place of birth, however when I search for the same person in the normal database, not in family trees, there is no record.  So my question is, is there any way of knowing what the source material is for these family tree records?

Thanks for your help,
Richard

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search family trees
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Family Search is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I suppose that many of its users are members. I sometimes make a change or add information to trees but making sure that I am absolutely confident in my research before making the change.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the details at https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/MZBH-2PL/details ?
It gives a contact name. Click on "open details"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Several of my ancestors aren't on the familysearch database either and it's possibly because the Mormans weren't allowed to film the church books or the books were no longer in the possession of the church, thus couldn't be filmed.

I've recently started entering my family tree onto the site. I gave precise birth/marriage dates for grandparents born in the 19th century but familysearch only has a record of them via census entries.  As a newbie, what I have found exasperating is a pop up asks for the person's ID number ..... "Arrgh -I can't give the number because your very large pop up is covering it!"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline R.Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies to this post!

I was able to find the name of the person who edited the record thanks to your advice stanmapstone, so many thanks for that.  I tried sending a message through FamilySearch's messaging system so fingers crossed the person will get it and reply!