Author Topic: "Aunt Corby" of WALGRAVE 1705  (Read 1239 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Aunt Corby" of WALGRAVE 1705
« on: Monday 23 October 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John Chambers married Elizabeth Tebbutt in Moulton in 1713. The parish registers and bishop's transcripts are missing for 1635 to 1689 but fortunately a 1705 will has helped a bit with the Chambers family.

James Chambers, a shepherd of Moulton, made his will on 29 November 1705. In it he names his wife Hannah, brother John Chambers of Moulton and aunt Corby of Walgrave.

Now John Chambers is presumably my ancestor and so I am trying to work out who this aunt Corby was. Presumably she was the sister of their father or mother but given the missing registers I would like to try and find out. Can anyone try and help me crack this please?

I am a bit confused by the will of James as the findmypast index states it is for a John Chambers and is dated 1713 but when my cousin went to the records office it turns out it is for James dated 1705. I am assuming though that it was perhaps only proved in 1713 and that is why the date is given on findmypast and such and John Chambers married that year, perhaps when he got his inheritance.

James Chambers married twice - once to Amy Tite in 1697/8 in Moulton and then after her death in 1700 he remarried Hannah Lansbury in Walden the same year. He must therefore have been born before c1677.

His brother John Chambers is not stated to be underage in the 1705 will so was presumably born before c1684. It would mean Aunt Corby of Walgrave could perhaps have been born around 1640 to 1680. But as I said I have no idea who she was.

Anyway if anyone could please help me here I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Aunt Corby" of WALGRAVE 1705
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 17 02:29 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Hannah CORBY who married Philip DEACON in Walgrave 1695

The were Baptists, both families I think which makes it difficult.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, mgeneas. Do you know anything more about the Corby family of Walgrave?

I have just realised that James Chambers married Hannah Landsberry in 1700 in Walgrave. He was of Moulton.

I guess it is therefore possible that "Aunt Corby" was his wife's relative. Or he met his wife through visiting his aunt in Walgrave.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
I don't know who my Hannah Corby belongs to.

There were Corby families nearby in Old and Draughton, but they don't seem to have had a Hannah.

I will look at some Corby wills when I get a chance at my local FH Centre