Author Topic: Mont Park Assylum records  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Bigbob52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mont Park Assylum records
« on: Monday 23 October 17 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,
            Been researching family member of McLeod, Euphemia Jane, who died at the Mont Park Asylum, however trying to locate records for this period of time is nearly impossible.
            She died in August 1962, and I would like to know where she is buried. Can anyone guide me in the direction I should go? I looked at local cemeteries around the area, - no luck. She was born in St. Arnaud, Victoria, but I have no access to their records, (I did send a request for a check).
           I would value any assistance you can provide.   
   Thank you, Robert

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mont Park Assylum records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert and welcome to RootsChat
A moderator will probably remove your email address from your post soon.  This is to protect your privacy and from spammers etc.

Have you tried for her death certificate?  This should be available to download from the Vic bdm site as it's over 30 years ago.  Cost $20 I believe.  It should give you the info you seek.
Have a check on the Australia Resources board of RootsChat to get the exact detail of their site which I don't have at my fingertips right now.

Dawn M
PS If Euphemia did die in the asylum, their records will probably be closed for 100 years though the period could be shorter (not sure of Vic laws)  DM
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
Would this be her:

Springvale Botanical Cemetery
Dodonaea, Colonnade 3, Section G, Niche 56

Date of Birth
-

Date of Death
-

Date of Service
30 December 1964

https://mgc.smct.org.au/deceasedsearch/result/294040

I note it's two years after Euphemia Jane MCLEOD's death (VIC registration, 19809/1962). Which seems a long time, or the service date is incorrect.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:25 BST (UK) »
Victorian BDM registrations and certificates: https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Robert.

We are not permitted to post email addresses on the board.  I suggest you modify your post and delete the details.

According to the death index, Euphemia died at Kew not Mont Park Asylum, probably Kew Mental Hospital/Asylum.

McLEOD Euphemia Jane
Parents unknown
At Kew  67 years  1962 Reg#19809

I've searched ALL the cemeteries in Metropolitan Melbourne who have their burials online with no resultso I suggest you contact Melbourne General Cemetery whose records are not online, for a search of their registers.  MGC AT smct.org.au    Replace AT with @.

Not Euphemia Jane at Springvale Botanical Cemetery.  You need to check the online VIC bdm's before posting as there was a Euphemia McLEOD who died in 1964.  ;)

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

If you don't already have it, it should state on Euphemia's death certificate where she is buried or if she was cremated.  It would cost $25 for the certificate if you order an online copy.  I had a quick look and her registration number is 19809.

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au

Her record said she died in Kew but I couldn't see a record for her there or in any of the other cemetery lists either although they are not all online as yet.  Hopefully you will receive a response regarding St Arnaud soon!

Regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:36 BST (UK) »
Surely an email to MGC before purchasing a death certificate.

If Robert had Euphemia's death certificate he wouldn't be seeking help.

FYI - Kew Asylum Records
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/component/daPublicBaseContainer?component=daViewAgency&entityId=2840

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
PROV hold a probate file for Euphemia.
https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

Her place of residence is noted as Mont Park.  She was on the electoral rolls from 1927 to 1937 living at Elsternwick, Carlton and Northcote with occupation nurse.    If you haven't already found her on the electoral rolls I am happy to type her listings for you. 

Cando

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 October 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,
I tried to delete my message once I realized that others had provided more information but was unable to do.  I suggested the certificate (as did others) because I never assume that people always have the obvious information before they post for help.  Your blunt response was not appreciated.
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies