Author Topic: The Tilley Family Lubbenham  (Read 2337 times)

Offline careybeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Tilley Family Lubbenham
« on: Monday 23 October 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather, John Tilley (1858-1929) was vicar of St Arvans for 42 years. I have some lovely old photos of his family and I have started researching my family tree starting with John and his wife Edith (Henderson). Edith's 4th(?) great grandfather was Thomas Bayliffe (1778-1826) Vicar of Rotherham and I believe his portrait is still in the church. I would love to hear from anyone researching the Tilleys and Hendersons.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Tilley Family Lubbenham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Careybeth.

Have you looked to see if anyone on here is researching your families by looking in 'Surname Interests' in 'Your Tools', below?

Offline careybeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Chempat, I'm taking a while to get used to navigating the site, but I'll try that, it sounds a good idea.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I have loads of Tilleys  --  :)

but seemingly not from Lubenham... although I do have oodles of family from Lubenham.

My Tilleys are from Barwell and Marston Trustle  and various places

xin

OO  I found one :)  see attached

Offline careybeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
That’s interesting, thanks xin. They possibly are related as there seem to be a lot out Tilleys in Leicestershire. I’ve got loads of researching to do, so I might find a link.  :) carey

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 17 06:25 GMT (UK) »
I do know who your John Tilley is (I think!) I'll do some more rooting this morning but will send you a PM. Might even help to explain a little mystery from over the border in Northamptonshire about the same time.
As Xinia has said, there are "loads of Tilleys" from Leicestershire - mine (over 300 of them) are from the Kibworth / Langton axis.
Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline careybeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 November 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
That sounds interesting, thanks Alan. We moved to Leicestershire 40 years ago and I’ve only recently discovered that my great grandfather came from this area. It is confusing with so many Tilleys though!
Carey

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 November 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
I came across an interesting little observation when following up on John's family. In 1897, one of his (half) nephews named his eldest daughter Vesta Tilley. Now although he was following in the family trade of baker and confectioner, I doubt that he was in thrall to Bryant and May.
Because of the association of one branch of my own family with the Britannia Theatre in Hoxton, London I was already very well aware of the music hall star and male impersonator of the age - Vesta Tilly. This was the first time I had come across a Tilley child named after her. In fact FreeBMD lists sixteen such births between 1885 and 1943.
Vesta Tilley was not a Tilley at all. She was born Matilda Alice Powles in 1864. She took her stage name from a diminutive of her first name (one of the putative origins of the surname in the first place). She died in 1952. 
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline careybeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 November 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this interesting piece of information. I looked up Vesta Tilley and she sounds an amazing character and had an incredible life. I can see that someone might want to name their child after such a personality. A bit like people naming their children after media celebrities today.