Author Topic: Pollard family help please Accrington  (Read 6853 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pollard family help please Accrington
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
 :) No their is no doubt that in the opinion of Nathan, this was a cousin, the John above I would  suggest was not part of the family Nathan is researching, just wondered who he was?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nsledden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
He didn't die in action -- John Richard Durbin Pollard died in 1953 in the Sub Registration District of Accrington. He is the one who fought initially in the Boer War.

I thought this was the correct person -- is there some doubt now?

Hi no this is the correct man service number ect , I am curious as to wether he served during the First World War ect , and when I say cousin naturally not my direct cousin , but perhaps a cousin of my great grandfather David pollard who was from Accrington his wife was Annie charlotte and had a few kids Walter Richard pollard Kia 8/7/1917 also Emily Harriet pollard my maternal grandmother thanks again all this far

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
They seem to be under the name Durbin in the 1881 census with a Jane Pollard 64 at 38 Bank Street Accrington.

Jennifer

So back to this census
Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
The John Pollard i posted , has a listing on ancestry for "Soldiers effects" his mother as Jane Pollard.

Mary :)

Just a note ☺
Keyboard86

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Willyam -- the John Richard Pollard you found in World War 1 Records - isn't the correct one (the one which has service number 214263). The other 2 records you found (ie the Militia then the East Lancs both in 1897) --- ARE him though.

The WW1 one you found has a wife Mary A (nee Haworth actually) and came from Rossendale).

The correct John Richard Durbin (and whatever else!) Pollard - married Hannah Kemble in 1914 at Hyndburn Register Office ar at a Registrar attended marriage (Lancs BMD).

I cannot see an immediate service record for him in WW1 -- although it doesn't mean that he didn't serve of course.

He seems to have obtained his medals in the Boer War -- according to the Forces War Record Site -- unless Nathan -- you also have a WW1 medal for him.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline nsledden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Willyam -- the John Richard Pollard you found in World War 1 Records - isn't the correct one (the one which has service number 214263). The other 2 records you found (ie the Militia then the East Lancs both in 1897) --- ARE him though.

The WW1 one you found has a wife Mary A (nee Haworth actually) and came from Rossendale).

The correct John Richard Durbin (and whatever else!) Pollard - married Hannah Kemble in 1914 at Hyndburn Register Office ar at a Registrar attended marriage (Lancs BMD).

I cannot see an immediate service record for him in WW1 -- although it doesn't mean that he didn't serve of course.

He seems to have obtained his medals in the Boer War -- according to the Forces War Record Site -- unless Nathan -- you also have a WW1 medal for him.
thanks again for your reply it's very much appreciated , I do not have ww1 medals for him just the boer war , from a google search though I found that these medals where sold in 2006 at auction with other "family medals " those where ww1 medals but awarded to 6967 Pte j r pollard loyal north lancs regiment but these have been seperated it would appear

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the Jane above in 1881 b Church is married in 1861 to a Reuben Pollard 32 with an Alice A Pollard aged 3 b Accrington
Census ref RG09/3062/128/78
The daughters in 1861 Catherine b c 1855  and Alice A b c 1858 have mmn Broderick

EDIT would love to know about the John who was killed in action 1916 mother Jane?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Nathan -- I cannot see any surviving records for a WW1 soldier with a service number of 6967 I'm afraid -- unless I'm missing it.

Keyboard -- I realise you are searching backwards to prove 'cousinship' for Nathan -- I'm not ignoring it -- but was just concentrating on the soldier aspect at the moment.

Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:38 BST (UK) »

EDIT would love to know about the John who was killed in action 1916 mother Jane?

Was his service number 15824 East Lancs Regiment?
Places of interest;