Author Topic: can you have a half sister once removed?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can you have a half sister once removed?
« on: Monday 23 October 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
you can have a cousin once removed so why not a half sister?ive juust told my half sisters that they have two half sisters lucy and esther dont know how they will take it these two girlsare 10 yrsyounger than they.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: can you have a half sister once removed?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
No I don't believe you can have a half sister once removed because there is a common parent. To be once removed the relative would have had a common relative from the previous generation.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't that make them step-nieces?

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 04:17 BST (UK) »
no, i dont think so, because they are my stepfathers' daughters' not my sisters' daughters'or even not my sisters daughtershalf siblings daughters, they are my half sisters' halfsisters', I was just being  faceyious,but  facetiousness apart relationships are very strange sometimes!
if on his third marriage he had had more children then maybe my sisters could have claimed them as their half sisters once removed, although logically they would have just been another set of half siblings, I think ,my stepfather was seeking someone who would give him a son, but I think he was only programmed to produce girls. his female sperm were just stronger swimmers and that is that.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
I've got a half 2nd cousin once removed.  Her father is my half 2nd cousin, her grandfather my half 1st cousin once removed, and her g.grandmother my half g.aunt.  Her chlidren are my half 2nd cousins twice removed. (According to my Legacy family tree program).

The g.grandmother, is a half sister to my gran - same mother, different father.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 09:29 BST (UK) »
Marcie - If they are your stepfather's daughters then they are no relation to you, unless the mother is also your mother, then they would be your half sisters.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
no, i dont think so, because they are my stepfathers' daughters' not my sisters' daughters'or even not my sisters daughtershalf siblings daughters, they are my half sisters' halfsisters', I was just being  faceyious,but  facetiousness apart relationships are very strange sometimes!
OK, so it's a bit more complicated in your case. But the title of your thread is the more general "can you have a half sister once removed?".
If the daughter of a sister is a niece (rather than a sister once removed), then the daughter of a half-sister would be a half-niece. Not sure if that is an official title though.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
If all the children have your stepfather as their father then they are not "removed" they are half sisters as they share the same father but a different mother.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
Are they not step-sisters? Do your previously known half-sisters share a parent with the newly discovered half-sisters?
Cowban