Author Topic: Elizabeth/Betsy Neill/McNee - Kent?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Elizabeth/Betsy Neill/McNee - Kent?
« on: Tuesday 24 October 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a long-shot but maybe someone can help.

My 4x great-grandparents are Colin McArthur and Elizabeth Neill. Colin was born c.1778, Inverness, Scotland. Elizabeth/Betsy was born c.1780, England. This is all I know of her.

Colin was a private in the 42nd Regiment of Foot (Black Watch) for a number of years. His discharge record states that he suffered from 'Walcheren Fever' and also mentions he served in Corunna.

On their son Alexander McArthur's death cert it states his parents to be Colin McArthur (Private, 42nd Regiment of foot) and Betsy McNee. The informant is Alexander's son, so I feel he got some info wrong here.

Alexander was born in Musselburgh, Scotland 7th March 1811, and the OPR record of baptism states that Colin is a Private in the 42nd Foot. Alexander's census records state his birth as Musselburgh so I know I have the same people in all of these records despite the disparity in Elizabeth's name in various records. Elizabeth is noted as 'Elizabeth Neil' here.

Colin appeared to join up to the army at the age of 18 according to his discharge paper. So it's highly likely he was unmarried at this time and thus latterly met and married an Englishwoman somewhere in the world. There is some interesting information regarding the 42nd Foot on this link here; http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/42ndblackwatch.htm

On this page under the title 'Walcheren 1809'

They remained at Canterbury until July 1810, then removed to Scotland to be quartered at Musselburgh.

We know Colin was at Walcheren as this is on his discharge papers. So he was at Canterbury for approximately 1 year then removed to Musselburgh, Scotland where his son Alexander was born.

In the 1841 census the couple are living at Folds, Elgin, Moray-shire, Scotland. On FreeCen they are transcribed as 'Collin McAnter', 57 born outside county and 'Betsy McAnter', 57, born England.

In 1851 Colin is a widow, he is still at the same address. 'Faulds, Elgin, Moray' and this time his occupation is 'Chelsea Pensioner Private 42 Reg'. So I know it's the same person and the same couple back in 1841.

Betsy was a common nickname for someone in Scotland called Elizabeth so it appears she went by this given what's on her son Alexander's DC.

My theory is that Colin met Elizabeth/Betsy whilst he was convalescing from Walcheren Fever in Canterbury. He would've been there for just under 1 year. Plenty time to meet and marry? I cannot find any records of them in Kent. I'm just assuming Betsy is from Kent however.

Any info on Colin and Elizabeth's marriage and Elizabeth's parents if at all possible. I can't seem to find anything.

Many thanks to anyone that may be able to help pin down the mystery of Betsy.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie