Author Topic: "Ring of Bells" and "Ringing Bells" St Austell  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Ring of Bells" and "Ringing Bells" St Austell
« on: Tuesday 24 October 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
I would like to know if "Ring of Bells Tavern" and "Ringing Bells" are different establishments.

I have confirmation that related Henry Harry was innkeeper at "Ring of Bells Tavern".

Now I am finding that another connection may have been involved "Ringing Bells Public House" St Austell early 1800s.

Are they one and the same?
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Ring of Bells" and "Ringing Bells" St Austell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 08:06 BST (UK) »
Pigot's Directory of 1830 only shows Ring of Bells - William Minear.

I initially looked at the wrong Directory - Kelly's Directory of 1902 and found Henry Harry at the Seven Stars PH, East Hill.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you BumbleB.
Henry Harry was a brother of my great grandfather who came to Australia. He was also innkeeper at Bugle Inn.

I am now finding newspaper reports connecting Minear and variations to "Ring of Bells" and "Ringing Bells" in 1828/9 also Pigot's Direcory 1830 and 1837.

Royal Cornwall Gazette 11 Jul 1845 reports " William Minear , aged 87 , for many years landlord of the Ring of Bells , died last Wednesday.

I have a Mary Hancock Minear marrying William Henry Harry 1853 St Austell.
I am trying to determine if they are connected.

Rex Harry
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has an address "Ringing Bells" with a William Minner age 79 a miner. 

He could be the William who died in 1845 but he isn't down as a landlord or head of the household (also a miner)

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Milliepede.
I had noticed this. I think I need to identify William Minner accurately as I have assumed Minear transcribed incorrectly.
I have found several references to Minear family at "Ring of Bells".The Royal Cornwall Gazette 15 Oct 1831 reports the birth of a son ( Edward), to the wife of Mr Wm Minear, Innkeeper.

I have checked the St Austell images of baptisms which show Edward Minear s/o William and Jane as parents. Edward was born 13 Oct 1831 bpt 4 Mar 1832 ( William Minear =1823 St Austell, Jane Guy).
This William Minear died 20 March 1832.His father may have been William also.