Author Topic: What is the occasion??? Frank Nightingale sitting on the barrel  (Read 1964 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is the occasion??? Frank Nightingale sitting on the barrel
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Vesting day was 1st Jan 1947. I think this is a little earlier than that but i'm no expert on dating clothing. We need some of the experts to take a look, Jim, where are you?

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
Top hats are associated with Ascot. Could it be the gents in the Toppers are going or have been to Ascot and possibly had a large win hence the champagne!  I wonder if the carriage could have accommodated all those in Toppers?
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 October 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't know anything about the topics that have been mentioned.  However, I'm curious why there is a barrel in the photograph?  Were barrels used on the site and they happened to use what was available for the photo?  :-\  I hope you don't mind if I ask if your grandfather had mobility problems and could not stand for the photograph?  I don't mean to be so blunt inquiring about the barrel, but looking for unique items in photos has helped me with my own unidentified photographs.  It's an odd way to solve some mysteries, but as it has worked for me, I continue to look for the out-of-place things.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 October 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, I'm having a chuckle!! :D :D
No he didnt have a mobility problem !
The only reason I could think was if it had been a "outing" of some sort... they may have taken their own "refresments".
They appear to be in the street out side the Gas works.
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 October 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Since the sign was not centred in the photograph, perhaps the photograph was taken there for convenience (and had nothing to do with the factory)?

"...The gentleman in the top hat is pouring from a wine bottle. It is either a jeroboam (4 bottles) or a rehoboam (6 bottles). Jeroboam is also known as double magnum..."

Is is a coincidence that the barrel is right in front of the wine bottle?  Did the celebration have something to do with the wine?

Just read your reply - I'm glad to read that you understand that I wasn't being rude.   ;)

Update:  I meant to add this as well:
The horses look like those in Bristol that pulled brewer's drays, but I don't know if they were used in Brixton
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 October 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I'm not sure that they are all gas works employees. The OPs grandfather was a stone mason, not a trade associated with producing town gas.

So social club outing would be a fair guess, with their own light refreshment in a barrel. Lemonade perhaps  ;D ;D ;D

I doubt they went to Ascot, not by horse and wagon anyway. A bit too far from Brixton to Ascot. Top hats are associated with Ascot but normally in conjunction with morning dress.

The bottle by the way is red wine rather than champagne. Type of bottle shows us that.

John915

Added, only just seen Lisa's reply, typing at same time.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 October 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
What was the fellow (in the back row) to the right of the wine pourers holding?   :-\

Offline odbsmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 October 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
I think its a Trumpet or Cornet .
Hudman, Souch, Grinyer, King, Nightingale, Sandoz, Gateley, Findley

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 October 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
They look as though they're geared up for a great day at the races.

Race courses near London SW9 are:-

12 miles away Epsom Downs
13 miles away Sandown Park
 - ditto -         Kempton Park
21 miles away Lingfield Park
22 Miles away Windsor
25 miles away Ascot
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke