Author Topic: Matthew Middlemist - help with cause of death, and Census Locations please  (Read 1482 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Good Evening Everyone

I am hoping someone will be able to help finding Matthew Middlemist born about 1840 in Jedburgh. I can find him in the 1851 census with his parents in Jedburgh. He next surfaces in 1862 for Desertion - Regimental number 956 / Military Corps 37th Foot. He then appears to be in Prison in 1867 listed as a Shoemaker. The prison location is given as Dalkeith. Matthew then marries an Elizabeth Crow 1867 St Giles, his occupation is again shoemaker, the final appearance is his death in St Andrews in 1879. I have attached his cause of death as I am struggling to read it. I believe that there were two children - Isabella 1868 Edinburgh and Matthew George 1871 Edinburgh.

Any help with finding the family would be gratefully received.

Regards Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Middlemist - help with cause of death, and Census Locations please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
Cause of death is cardiac unknown, cirrhotis Bright, unknown. The unknowns are the duration of the diseases referred to. Bright's disease affects the kidneys. I wonder if the Registrar is confusing cirrhosis and cirrhotic?

As for the census, do his parents have names?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian,

I couldn't make head nor tale.
Matthews parent were Andrew and Christina Middlemist in Jedburgh.
I have just found a second marriage for Elizabeth to a Robert Kerr 1883 St Andrews, Edinburgh, but again the writing is terrible. I still cant find any census records for Middlemist and I havn't tried under the name Kerr yet.

Regards
Moo

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
This is a surname prone to transcription errors and so wildcards make sense!

1861 try the worldwide army index?

1871 maybe?

Matthew Middleman 28 b Jedburgh bootmaker  Elsewhere transcribed as Middlemass on Scotland's People
Elizabeth 28 b Edinburgh
Jean 3 b Edinburgh

11 Leith St Terrace

His death notice appears to be in the Southern Reporter 21 Aug 1879 - the same address 11 Leith St Terrace is given.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you William

I shall certainly use wildcards with this name from now on.

Regards
Moo

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Millmoor (William)

Can you point me in the right direction to search  "worldwide army index" I don't seem to be able to find it.

Many Thanks
Regards
Moo

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
It is on Find My Past, Moo.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
I found an Andrew Middlemost, wife Catherine, and children including sons Thomas, 6 and Andrew, aged 2, in Jedburgh in 1841. I have come across enumerators before who got Catherine and Christina mixed up. So this could be your family without Matthew, Either Matthew was missed off the census or he was born after census day and was only 10 on census day 1851. See https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl but do check the original on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you again William - I shall have to check when i get more credit :(

Thank you Forfarian - They are most certainly his parents and siblings, I shall re check his birth year.

Regards

Moo