Author Topic: Buffalo Naturalization records  (Read 813 times)

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
Buffalo Naturalization records
« on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find a naturalization record probably from the 1850s or 1860s. I understand that the clerks office holds these records on microfilms.
I was wondering if these records might be indexed by year? I don't believe I will have any time to go search, but in the case I could I would like to know as much as possible to save time.
I am looking for a Charles Coughlin. Most census information on this ancestor of mine indicated that he was unable to read or write.

I am also looking for a Cornelius Sullivan in Buffalo listed as an Alien in 1865 NY census. 1875 he is listed as naturalized. Also from Buffalo. He was born sometime around 1840. Wife named Julia O'Neill.

Thank you
Murphy, Coughlin, Sullivan, Dyer, Munnelly, McDonald, Kelly, Gardinier

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Buffalo Naturalization records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Where was Cornelius Sullivan born ? Name of parents ?

When was Charles Coughlin born ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:09 BST (UK) »

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Those are the correct. Thank you! Birth years are approximate. They were both born in Ireland.

Thanks again

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Also Charles I am guessing Charles Coughlin and Mariah Pier married in 1852 at the earliest. 1855 ny census they are shown in Buffalo Chas Caughtan.

I noticed an Elizabeth Brown 33 with children John 10 and Michael 9. A father Dennis Coughlan 50 or 54 55?
Elizabeth is widowed and it says she's been in the town for 5 years just like Charles. Maybe this is a connection? I don't know. There was no Dennis Coughlin in the family not that it means it's impossible. Just something I am pointing out.
Elizabeth is over 21 unable to read or write. Ironically this is the only census where that is not checked for Charles.

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
In 1865 his surname shows up as Conderman. 1880 CongTing. I had to find them creativly to say the least. When looking at the images they have been clearly Coughlin. Although his surname appears as Corcoran when looking at the 1865 census. It is definitely him though based on the children and wife.

Offline MurphyK91

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 01:42 BST (UK) »
By the way I don't know if this will help, but Cornelius Sullivan married Julia O'Neill in Connecticut in 1861. It could be possible that this was where he entered the country?

No idea of names of Charles Coughlin's nor Cornelius Sullivan's parents. I have been at a dead end with them for a long time. Parents were not listed on either death record. :(