Author Topic: Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown  (Read 5503 times)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth wylie Rodie was born 12thSep 1867 in Old Luce, Wigtownshire to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Rodie nee Shaw.
Isobel

Hello!

Where did you find this 1867 date? I seem to be finding 1849 on Scotland's People, but I could be mixing up Elizabeths

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
I think the Elizabeth Rodie who was born in 1849 in Old Luce to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Wylie will be Elizabeth Wylie Rodie's aunt. Her father, Thomas Rodie was born in Old Luce in 1846 to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Wylie.

You'll find Elizabeth Wylie Rodie in the Statutory Registers, rather than the Church Registers on Scotland's People, as she was born after statutory registration was introduced in 1855 in Scotland.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
The 1867 birth is on Scotlandspeople. Also on Familysearch.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 26 October 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
The 1867 birth is on Scotlandspeople. Also on Familysearch.
HermitCedar, the birth is indexed on FamilySearch but the original document, with all the available information, is only available on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
I think the Elizabeth Rodie who was born in 1849 in Old Luce to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Wylie will be Elizabeth Wylie Rodie's aunt. Her father, Thomas Rodie was born in Old Luce in 1846 to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Wylie.

You'll find Elizabeth Wylie Rodie in the Statutory Registers, rather than the Church Registers on Scotland's People, as she was born after statutory registration was introduced in 1855 in Scotland.

Ruth

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all of your help! The last thing I am trying to do here is correctly draw the connection/find the documents to connect the Elizabeth Wylie Rodie to Susan McPherson, her grandmother.

Could anyone help me draw this connection? Maybe my brain is just fried, but I am having a hard time with documents and dates.

Thank you!!!

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Wylie Rodie was born 12 Sep 1867 in Old Luce, Wigtonshire, to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Shaw - you'll get the birth record on Scotland's People.

Elizabeth Wylie Rodie's mother, Elizabeth Shaw, was probably the daughter of Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson. There doesn't appear to be a surviving baptism, but Elizabeth Shaw, aged 7, appears in the 1851 census in Stoneykirk with parents Robert and Susan Shaw. There is a marriage of Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson in Kirkmaiden in 1842 that appears in the church registers - you'll be able to find this on Scotland's People too.

If you get hold of the marriage record for Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Shaw (1866, Stoneykirk), this will hopefully confirm my guess that her parents are Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Wylie Rodie was born 12 Sep 1867 in Old Luce, Wigtonshire, to Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Shaw - you'll get the birth record on Scotland's People.

Elizabeth Wylie Rodie's mother, Elizabeth Shaw, was probably the daughter of Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson. There doesn't appear to be a surviving baptism, but Elizabeth Shaw, aged 7, appears in the 1851 census in Stoneykirk with parents Robert and Susan Shaw. There is a marriage of Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson in Kirkmaiden in 1842 that appears in the church registers - you'll be able to find this on Scotland's People too.

If you get hold of the marriage record for Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Shaw (1866, Stoneykirk), this will hopefully confirm my guess that her parents are Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson.

Ruth

Hey Ruth!

So I found the marriage cert for Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Shaw, where it lists McPherson as Elizabeth's mother. As you said, it's from 1866, Stonykirk.

I found it on Scotland's People.

So, with this information, how do we consider this confirmed?

Thanks again!

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what else you want to confirm  ???

If you're happy, from the evidence you have, that Elizabeth Wylie Rodie is the daughter of Thomas Rodie and Elizabeth Shaw; and you're happy that Elizabeth Shaw is the daughter of Robert Shaw and Susan McPherson, then that would confirm it for me.

If it were me, I would be getting hold of all the census entries where these families appear, to see if the story follows through - and I'd probably be checking that there weren't any marriages/births etc. of individuals with similar names, in similar locations - and follow their journeys to rule them out.

You could also get hold of Elizabeth Shaw's death registration - in Scotland, death registrations also include the father's name and mother's maiden name, if these were known to whoever registered the death. They are less reliable as a source of parents' names, as deaths are more likely to be registered by individuals who aren't family members, or who are distant family members. Marriage records are more reliable, as this information would have been given to the registrar by the bride and groom themselves.

Hope that helps.

Ruth

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
You could also get hold of Elizabeth Shaw's death registration - in Scotland, death registrations also include the father's name and mother's maiden name, if these were known to whoever registered the death. They are less reliable as a source of parents' names, as deaths are more likely to be registered by individuals who aren't family members, or who are distant family members. Marriage records are more reliable, as this information would have been given to the registrar by the bride and groom themselves.

Quoting myself... sheesh...  ::)

I've just realised that Elizabeth Rodie (nee Shaw) died in England - so this isn't going to be much help...

Ruth