Author Topic: Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown  (Read 5536 times)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown
« on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
**if you think this would belong better in the general board, then please let me know!**

Hello, everyone! I am digging down deeper into my Scottish roots and I find I need some help - I am currently stuck.

To start off basic...

I have a relative named Margaret Muir, who was born in Wigtownshire on April 9th, 1820. When I found that parish birth record, I saw that her parents were listed: Robert Muir and Catherine MacLean.

That's where I'm stuck.

I can't find a single thing at all on this Robert Muir, nor can I find anything on Catherine MacLean (this is the side I am interested in, in particular), other than this confusing detail...

I found a Catherin Mclean (not Maclean, as the birth cert said) who married a Robert Muir in Glasgow on 18 May 1828. This, at first, seems like it would be paydirt: the names are close enough and they match in a similar/ish area to Wigtownshire, but they were married in 1828 and their daughter Margaret was born in 1820... would this be considered odd for the time period? Again, I don't know for sure if it's MacLean or Mclean.

Now, even if we take this marriage as correct, I still cannot find a single thing further.

Does anyone have any insight or help they would be willing to lend? It would mean a lot - I've been stuck here for a couple weeks!

Thank you!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have a relative named Margaret Muir, who was born in Wigtownshire on April 9th, 1820. When I found that parish birth record, I saw that her parents were listed: Robert Muir and Catherine MacLean.

From FS

Name    Margaret Muir
Gender    Female
Christening Date    18 Apr 1820
Christening Place    , LESWALT, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND
Birth Date    09 Apr 1820
Father's Name    Robert Muir
Mother's Name    Catherine Maclean

Do the parents correspond with info on her death cert - presuming she died after 1855?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:38 BST (UK) »

Do the parents correspond with info on her death cert - presuming she died after 1855?
[/quote]

Hey CaroleW, thanks for getting back to me!

And, sadly, I do not have a death cert for Margaret. I do know that she Married John Wilson in Wigtown in 1843, though! So she at least lived until 1843.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for her on any of the censuses to establish if she was still alive post 1855?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for her on any of the censuses to establish if she was still alive post 1855?

I have tried and I have not - I have never been able to find her on a census. It was tricky to link her to her children without being able to do so.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
If you haven't found her on a census - how do you know she was born in Wigtown 1820?

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
If you haven't found her on a census - how do you know she was born in Wigtown 1820?

From a parish baptism record.

I had to trace her name back through locations on parish records and names... I suppose I could try doing that again to find out where she last lived to see if there's a death in the same location... that could provide the parents names.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:13 BST (UK) »

From a parish baptism record.

I had to trace her name back through locations on parish records and names... I suppose I could try doing that again to find out where she last lived to see if there's a death in the same location... that could provide the parents names.

The only death for a Margaret Muir I found on Scotland's People is for a different one, so this is a no go so far.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
Apart from her name and her marriage in 1843 - you don't appear to have any other information about her that would link her to the baptism in 1820.  Are you just assuming this is the right person?

There is no census record confirming she was born in Wigtown or showing her birthyear as 1820.  Marrying there does not necessarily mean she was born there.

Unless you have other info - it would be unwise to make assumptions based on the FS record.

Who were her children and when and where were they born?