Author Topic: Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown  (Read 5506 times)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a family member? I'm entirely stuck. Lanark/Wigtown
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
From the 1939 register it would appear the 1899 James Joseph was married to a Bessie nee Jones. Perhaps this is not your James after all?

So.... I suppose that it is always possible, but I know for a fact that James Wilson married Margaret Florence Wearn, my grandmother told me and they were her parents, so I am guessing she knew their names, ha.... and I have their marriage certificate that lists James Wilson's father as Thomas Wilson.

I also know that James Wilson died in 1957 in Knowsley.

I'm second guessing my entire tree on this side of the family now... how does it appear 1899 James J Wilson is married to Bessie?

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
I have found James Wilson and Margaret nee Wearn on the 1939 register and according to that he was born in 1888. Do you know for sure that this is the James that you are descended from?
Isobel

I know for a fact that James Wilson had my grandmother as a child with Margaret Florence Wearn. I am, for sure, descended from that couple. I do not see how it could be anyone else... when I get home I will confirm on my paper copy of their marriage certificate and let you know...

I don't see how she could be born in 1888, that seems awfully early... James was also a Merchant Marine so he was moving around a lot.

Sheesh... this is really depressing. I thought I had the family back a little bit, but apparently I don't/may not have the right James Wilson.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
James J Wilson (James Joseph Wilson, I believe)
Why do you think he was Joseph? Is his middle name not on his marriage certificate?

was married in 1918 in Lancashire to Margaret Florence Wearn (sometimes spelled Wearne)
Looks as if they had
Agnes 1919
Margaret 1921
James 1923
Elizabeth 1925
Annie 1927
Susan M 1930
Sarah 1932
Martha 1937
Is that right? Which one is your grandparent?

One thing to note - in a lot of sources it shows his birth year as 1900. It took me a bit to figure out this isn't true. He was born 17 Dec 1899, but was not registered until 1900.
That's normal.

There was one James Joseph Wilson registered in the December quarter of 1899 in London, and two in the March quarter of 1900, of whom one was registered in West Derby (Liverpool), mother's maiden surname James.

There is also a Frederick Alexander Wilson, mother's surname James, registered in West Derby in the March quarter of 1902.

James Joseph Wilson, 11 and Frederick Alexander Wilson, 9, are in the 1911 census as the stepsons of George Whitfield. He also has a wife Jane, and daughters Margaret Hilda, 4; Clara Elizabeth, 2 and Elsie, 2 months.

Margaret Hilda Whitfield was registered in West Derby in the March quarter of 1907, Clara Elizabeth in the March quarter of 1909, and Elsie in the March quarter of 1911, mother's maiden surname James. So there is no doubt that Margaret Hilda, Clara Elizabeth and Elsie Whitfield are half-sisters of James Joseph and Frederick Alexander Wilson.

George Whitfield and Jane Ann Wilson were married in Pateley Bridge in the December quarter of 1904.

How does all that grab you? Any of it sound familiar?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
The 1899 one does not appear to be yours. He definitely died in 1972 in Liverpool. The 1888 James on the 1939 register was an Able Seaman so that sounds like it might fit. Margaret Florence Wearn was born in Prescot in 1894 and that matches with the 1939 register entry.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Why do you think he was Joseph? Is his middle name not on his marriage certificate?

was married in 1918 in Lancashire to Margaret Florence Wearn (sometimes spelled Wearne)
Looks as if they had
Agnes 1919
Margaret 1921
James 1923
Elizabeth 1925
Annie 1927
Susan M 1930
Sarah 1932
Martha 1937

One thing to note - in a lot of sources it shows his birth year as 1900. It took me a bit to figure out this isn't true. He was born 17 Dec 1899, but was not registered until 1900.
That's normal.

There was one James Joseph Wilson registered in the December quarter of 1899 in London, and two in the March quarter of 1900, of whom one was registered in West Derby (Liverpool), mother's maiden surname James.

There is also a Frederick Alexander Wilson, mother's surname James, registered in West Derby in the March quarter of 1902.

James Joseph Wilson, 11 and Frederick Alexander Wilson, 9, are in the 1911 census as the stepsons of George Whitfield. He also has a wife Jane, and daughters Margaret Hilda, 4; Clara Elizabeth, 2 and Elsie, 2 months.

Margaret Hilda Whitfield was registered in West Derby in the March quarter of 1907, Clara Elizabeth in the March quarter of 1909, and Elsie in the March quarter of 1911, mother's maiden surname James. So there is no doubt that Margaret Hilda, Clara Elizabeth and Elsie Whitfield are half-sisters of James Joseph and Frederick Alexander Wilson.

George Whitfield and Jane Ann Wilson were married in Pateley Bridge in the December quarter of 1904.

I will check for sure when I get home in about an hour, but I always remember my grandmother saying "James J Wilson" but she could have been wrong, I suppose.

Given that I know for a fact that James Wilson and Margaret Florence Wearn/Wearne were married in Lancashire, and the only marriage for people with those surnames is between a James Wilson and a Margaret Wearne in Kirkdale, St. Athanasius, Liverpool, I know that they were married in 1918, per the Lancashire BMD site.

Also, Susan M is my grandmother. The M stands for McPherson, so her full name is Susan McPherson Wilson, but she married into the Harrison family (they later moved to America).

Funnily enough, this whole process started with me trying to find the link to that McPherson name for my dad.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
If he died in Knowsley in 1957 then FreeBMD ( free site) shows him to be 68 years old which tallies with the 1888 birth.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
If he died in Knowsley in 1957 then FreeBMD ( free site) shows him to be 68 years old which tallies with the 1888 birth.

I thought he died there but this whole experience is making me second-guess everything so I guess I'm going to treat it like I'm not sure...  to try and be one hundred percent positive I get the right James I guess I'm going to go with I don't know when he died

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Also, Susan M is my grandmother. The M stands for McPherson, so her full name is Susan McPherson Wilson, but she married into the Harrison family (they later moved to America).

I don't want to send you down another rabbit hole but...

There is a James Wilson, born 1888, Kirkdale, Lancashire to Thomas Wilson, dock labourer (born Monaghan, Ireland) and Elizabeth Wylie Rodie (born Wigtonshire, Scotland). This couple were married in Liverpool in 1884. The reason I think this may be your James Wilson, is that in 1891 and 1901 he is in Kirkdale with his parents, and an elder sister named Susan McPherson Wilson.

I believe this may be the same James Wilson who is in Devonport as an Able Seaman with the navy in 1911, and who Isobel found in the 1939 register with wife Margaret - and the same James Wilson who died in Knowsley in 1957.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 21:10 BST (UK) »

Looks as if they had
Agnes 1919
Margaret 1921
James 1923
Elizabeth 1925
Annie 1927
Susan M 1930
Sarah 1932
Martha 1937

That's normal.

Okay, I just looked it up... James Wilson was married to Margaret Wearne in 1918, and he was 29 years old. That would make his birth year something like 1888-1889.