Author Topic: A double life in Beverley for 10 years?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
  • The most interesting detective work there is!
    • View Profile
A double life in Beverley for 10 years?
« on: Wednesday 25 October 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there- be warned it's a bit long winded!

I have been trying (for a few years now) to trace a marriage for a Joseph Anthony (born 1802) and Rghoda Moreton (b 1824). They start a family in 1843 in Beverley and have 5 children there between 1844 and 1850 before travelling to Deptford London and settling there.

I have previously tried to locate Joseph on the 1841 census without any definite success. However there is a Joseph Anthony in Kingston upon Hull of a similar age as a Tanner, living with a ?Letitia (poor quality of document) as a wife of same age and a son Winslow born 1833 (not in the county). Joseph is not with them in 1851 and Letitia/Lella and Winslow are in Beverley- after this they both appear to vanish- I haven't found death, marriage, migration etc.. Joseph (a tanner) in 1851 is at the home of his 'wife' Rhoda's sibling so presumably en route to Deptford. I have found a marriage of Joseph to a Letitia Roberts in Buckinghamshire in 1822 so think this is Josephs first marriage.

So I'm working on the theory that Joseph somehow met Rhoda around 1841ish and they started a life together without the official documentation and continued that way.

Other facts I do know- Joseph was born and baptised in 1802 in Burnham with Ulph Norfolk (his father Giles was around the area as part of his military service- he and his Norfolk wife Sarah Bolding eventually went back to Buckinghamshire- Giles' home county). Rhoda is born in Buckinghamshire and her family are split by the 1841 census (her mother dies when she is 8 ).
Joseph serves in the 6th Warwickshire Foots regiment 1826-1830- is retired due to infirmity. The 5 children born in Beverly to Joseph and Rhoda have their mother as Anthony formerly Moreton.

So my questions are:
  Has anyone come across this family in the Kingston upon Hull / Beverley area and able to shed any more light on the possibility that the Joseph for both families is the same?
 Is there any parish / newspaper references that may help shed light upon this?
What happens to Letitia and Winslow after 1851?
Am I barking up the wrong tree?????

I know divorce was expensive so prohibitive in a 'poor mans' relationship breakdown so I think a second family chance is possibly what happened here?

Any other bright ideas??

Many thanks in advance

Barbara
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A double life in Beverley for 10 years?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is Winslow Anthony...

PROBATE: Joseph Winslow HANCOCK
Labourer, died 22 Feb 1888 in Beverley, YKS
Late of Beckside in Beverley,
Will proved 20 Apr 1888 by Mary HANCOCK of Beckside, widow,
Effects  £25

In 1852 he married Mary PECK in 1852 Beverley; he's listed on FreeBMD as Joseph ANCOCK.
In 1861, Beverley, he is Joseph HANCOCK 29, b High Whikeham, Buckinghamshire.
In 1871, Beverely, he is Joseph HANCOCK 39, b London, Middlesex - and he now has amongst his children, Giles age 7.
In 1881, Beverley, he is Joseph HANCOCK 49, b Beverley, Yorkshire
In 1888, he died registered in Beverley as Joseph Winslow HANCOCK listed as age 56.

I note, too, on the 1851 Census for 'Lella' amd Winslow, she is stated to be born in Buckinghamshire. HO107  Piece 2359. Folio  520. pG16

Joseph Winslow HANCOCK, buried St Nicholas, Yorkshire
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=275355&scrwidth=1258

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Joseph Ancock (he signs as such) and Mary Peck - 20 December 1852 - he is 20, a bachelor, Labourer of Beckside.  Father:  Joseph, Labourer.  Mary is 17, a spinster of Beckside.  No father given.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ambly and BumbleB- that's certainly worth more food for thought. I'll take a look later

Barbara
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Do you think Letitia married a Hancock for him to get that surname?  I can't see a marriage for her. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Do you think Letitia married a Hancock for him to get that surname?  I can't see a marriage for her.

Who knows Millepede? The truth is out there somewhere- trouble is it's not what's all cracked up to be where ceremonies and censuses are concerned in the past.........
The 1861 census says he is born in High Wycombe (misspelt on the census) and that's the area his ancestors are from - so it's a lead I'm going to persue anyway and maybe might finally also find his baptism which may also help

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking if Joseph and Letitia did marry in 1822 and Winslow wasn't born until 1833 it would be likely they had more children together. 

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking if Joseph and Letitia did marry in 1822 and Winslow wasn't born until 1833 it would be likely they had more children together.

I've not found any of them so far............
Joseph was in the military from 1826 to 1830 so there could have been a gap over that period - they are proving to be quite a challenge.
Still haven't found Letitia/Lella after 1851- was trying all sorts of permutations and omissions to help the search last night................... Unless she had a complete name change............

Haven't found any plausible 'official' reason for Winslows name switch from Anthony to Hancock either- unless they really did not want to be associated with the name..........wonder how easy it was to get away with it back then?

Barbara

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Could check out this death for elimination

Letitia Anthony
Mar 1886 Amersham
age 68

No she looks to be the Letitia married to William Anthony sorry.

Pick - Frocester Glos