Author Topic: A double life in Beverley for 10 years?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
  • The most interesting detective work there is!
    • View Profile
Re: A double life in Beverley for 10 years?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I had seen that but it puts her 16 years younger (birth 1802)

There is a Leticia Anthony born 1818 in Chenies and a Leticia Floyd married a William Anthony in 1838 in Amersham so I think that the death belongs to this Leticia and not Josephs one. I think Williams Letitia is also the one listed in Kelly's directory/ post office Directory in Chenies as a straw bonnet maker in 1854 & 1877- is not on the 1883 or later ones
so
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Haven't found any plausible 'official' reason for Winslows name switch from Anthony to Hancock either- unless they really did not want to be associated with the name..........wonder how easy it was to get away with it back then?

It's not illegal to change your name & be known by any name you choose but with all the stigma with identity theft etc. I suppose it wouldn't be as easy as it was 20 yrs ago?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Haven't found any plausible 'official' reason for Winslows name switch from Anthony to Hancock either- unless they really did not want to be associated with the name..........wonder how easy it was to get away with it back then?

It's not illegal to change your name & be known by any name you choose but with all the stigma with identity theft etc. I suppose it wouldn't be as easy as it was 20 yrs ago?

Annie

Maybe not. It would have been easier to change and surrounding people get used to it when moving to a new town but he remains in the same one where he would have been known for 10 years as Winslow Anthony and then to change to Joseph Winslow Hancock..............

I've been trawling that localities burial records to check to see if he and his mother had died and buried there 1851-1861 but it doesn't appear so (just to double check)

I guess I may just add Winslow to the main tree with his descendants and see if any DNA matched crop up (that is assuming that Joseph was his dad anyway as that would be the only link)....
People lead such complicated lives- it never changes!
Girdlestone (Norfolk), <Warwick> Jones (Surrey; Essex), Anthony (Norfolk/Bucks), Moreton and Wingrove (Bucks), Brown, Hunt, Wilkes, Oakley, Cook & many more (Gloucester/ Worcestershire). Golbey, Puxty, Arnold, jones, Ballard, & many more (Sussex) McGhie (Cumberland to Kent) Weddle (Kent)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 October 17 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw some more confusion at it, did you notice that the 1841 says that 'Lella' was born in India?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 October 17 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Joseph (a tanner) in 1851 is at the home of his 'wife' Rhoda's sibling

... and did you notice a Winslow Moreton (aged 70) on the previous page - possibly one of Rhoda's relatives?  (EDIT - I think that is Rhoda's father?)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear this one is getting stranger and stranger  :o

Had not noticed birthplace India.  I thought she was from Buckinghamshire  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 October 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Is there a link here between the "wives" families Moreton and Roberts

In 1851 Winslow Moreton is with a Hopkins family.  The wife Elizabeth Hopkins I think was Elizabeth Roberts and wasn't Letitia called Roberts?

Elizabeth marriage 1828 to Benjamin.  Elizabeth born 1802 High Wycombe.

That links both families to the name Winslow but needs more investigation for sure. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Just to throw some more confusion at it, did you notice that the 1841 says that 'Lella' was born in India?

Hi Jomot

Yes I had but not convinced...................

Offline Barbaricbarb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Joseph (a tanner) in 1851 is at the home of his 'wife' Rhoda's sibling

... and did you notice a Winslow Moreton (aged 70) on the previous page - possibly one of Rhoda's relatives?  (EDIT - I think that is Rhoda's father?)

Hi Shaun J

Yes that is Rhodas father 2 doors down. Mary Austin (in the household Rhoda Joseph etc are staying at) is her eldest sister.