Author Topic: Interpreting RAF numbers  (Read 1015 times)

Offline zoejb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Interpreting RAF numbers
« on: Thursday 26 October 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my biological grandfather and wondering how to interpret the numbers provided on my father's birth certificate from 1945. His occupation is listed as 7/0 R.A.F. followed by a six digit number (I assume he's dead by now but there's a very small chance he could be alive so I think rules are I can't post it). What does the 7/0 indicate? Is the six digit number his service number? If so, are there online sources for accessing service information or is it kept under lock and key by MOD? I do know his name as well, but it's a common one, so google has so far only revealed that he was appointed Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1969. Any thoughts on how to interpret the 7/0 and where to go from here? Thank you!

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting RAF numbers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
His service records will still be with the MOD. If he's deceased, you can apply for the records, so one good step will be to search the death and probate indexes to see if you can find him.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Could 7/0 RAF actually be P/O RAF which would stand for Pilot Officer RAF.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
If he was an officer - v likely indeed if he was made MBE - then you can trace his promotions via the Air Force List (in some libraries). Unlike the Navy List it doesn't say what units he was posted to: really all you'll get is his promotions.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline zoejb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 17 02:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick replies and help. I went back to the birth certificate and realized that the 7/0 was actually F/0 (cursive hand-writing with the backwards F), so presumably that would be flight or flying officer. He went on to become a wing commander so that makes sense. Does anyone know what the service records at MOD would contain? Would it provide addresses, service dates, or even family members?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 17 06:18 BST (UK) »
I have my uncle's RAF service record. Basic details....name, date of birth, previous occupation, next of kin (his father) etc. plus all the courses taken and where he was posted.....like a billiard ball around England. It ends with missing then killed.

Not sure if a married man would have children listed.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 November 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
For a long serving RAF officer (Wing Commander) you will have masses of detail from his initial training units, trade training units, dates of proficiency in those trades, active service units/squadrons/maintenance units, etc. Dates of promotions, dates of changes between units, dates of service abroad and the countries in which he served, medal entitlements, any injuries sustained, trade advancement/courses and re-mustering to new trades.  Right through to his discharge/retirement.  Definitely worth requesting if you can.