Author Topic: Edward Watson of Faversham  (Read 1892 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Edward Watson of Faversham
« on: Thursday 26 October 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm trying to locate the marriage of Edward Watson and his wife Anne c1644 possibly in Faversham. Edward and Anne had two sons, Thomas (1645) and my ancestor Isaac (1647).

Edward may have been married previously to Margery Littlewood as there is a marriage for them in Faversham in April 1627 and a burial for her in May 1641. Edward and Margery appear to have had four children, Edward, Elizabeth, William and Hammon.

Also I am trying to find the christening of Edward himself. There is an Edward Watson christened in Faversham in 1601 (son of John) who could be the man who married Margery. If the marriage of Edward and Anne shows him as a widower then it could be the same man.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Watson of Faversham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Here is the full roster of children for Edward and Margery Watson at Faversham (all years for dates between 1 Jan and 25 Mar are given as New Style years and should be interpreted as year prior/year given):

SURNAME   GIVEN NAME   EVT   DATE   YEAR   PARENTS/SPOUSE   PLACE   SOURCE
WATSON   Elizabeth   Chr   18 Feb   1628   Edward/Margerie   Faversham   AD, BT
WATSON   John   Chr   08 Mar   1629   Edward/Marjory   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Edward   Chr   27 Feb   1631   Edward/Marjerie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Phebe   Chr   05 May   1633   Edward/Margerie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Hammon   Chr   08 Feb   1635   Edward/Margeri   Faversham   BT
WATSON   William   Chr   26 Mar   1637   Edward/Margarie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Elizabeth   Chr   24 Mar   1639   Edward/Margarie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Anne   Chr   20 Dec   1640   Edward/Margerie   Faversham   PR

I believe your Edward Watson is the son of Hammon Watson who was baptised at Boughton-under-the-Blean, vizt.

WATSON   Edward   Chr   08 Sep   1583   s/o Hammon Watson   Boughton Blean   PR BT

This looks like a strong candidate for Hammon Watson's marriage:

SURNAME   GIVEN NAME   BRIDESUR   BRIDE GIV   EVT   DATE   YEAR   PARENTS/SPOUSE   PLACE   SOURCE
WATSON   Hamon,   SONGER   Florence,   Marr   05 Nov   1581      Boughton Blean   PR

Margery, wife of Edward Watson was buried, vizt.
WATSON   Margerie   DBL   24 May   1641   wife of Edward   Faversham   PR AD BT

I can also confirm for you that Edward Watson did not marry Ann or anyone else at Faversham between May 1641 and 1647 at Faversham.  I have checked the PR and there is no marriage there. 

I hope this helps a bit.

Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Here is the full roster of children for Edward and Margery Watson at Faversham (all years for dates between 1 Jan and 25 Mar are given as New Style years and should be interpreted as year prior/year given):

WATSON   Elizabeth   Chr   18 Feb   1628   Edward/Margerie   Faversham   AD, BT
WATSON   John   Chr   08 Mar   1629   Edward/Marjory   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Edward   Chr   27 Feb   1631   Edward/Marjerie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Phebe   Chr   05 May   1633   Edward/Margerie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Hammon   Chr   08 Feb   1635   Edward/Margeri   Faversham   BT
WATSON   William   Chr   26 Mar   1637   Edward/Margarie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Elizabeth   Chr   24 Mar   1639   Edward/Margarie   Faversham   BT
WATSON   Anne   Chr   20 Dec   1640   Edward/Margerie   Faversham   PR

I believe your Edward Watson is the son of Hammon Watson who was baptised at Boughton-under-the-Blean, vizt.

WATSON   Edward   Chr   08 Sep   1583   s/o Hammon Watson   Boughton Blean   PR BT

This looks like a strong candidate for Hammon Watson's marriage:

SURNAME   GIVEN NAME   BRIDESUR   BRIDE GIV   EVT   DATE   YEAR   PARENTS/SPOUSE   PLACE   SOURCE
WATSON   Hamon,   SONGER   Florence,   Marr   05 Nov   1581      Boughton Blean   PR

Margery, wife of Edward Watson was buried, vizt.
WATSON   Margerie   DBL   24 May   1641   wife of Edward   Faversham   PR AD BT

I can also confirm for you that Edward Watson did not marry Ann or anyone else at Faversham between May 1641 and 1647 at Faversham.  I have checked the PR and there is no marriage there. 

I hope this helps a bit.

Susan

Hi Susan

Thanks for your message and the useful info. I haven't looked at these Watsons for a while as I have been concentrating on another lot over in Chilham and nearby. However the information you've provided does confuse a few issues though.

My ancestor Mary Watson was born in Faversham in 1678 and married William Amis in December 1696 by Licence. Mary was the daughter of Isaac Watson, a hoyman, of Faversham who died in 1698 leaving a Will.

Isaac was christened on 12 October 1647 and is recorded as the son of Edward and Anne Watson, while his older brother Edward was christened there on 9 September 1645 (again recorded as the son of Edward and Anne). Both entries can be seen on Familysearch.

So who is this Anne that is mentioned?

If the children that you mentioned as being born to Edward and Margery were the children from Edward's first marriage then could he have married Anne elsewhere?

If there's a link to Boughton under Blean then there may even be a link to the Watsons I am working on in that area! It looks like it will get very confusing lol!

Matt

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I've just checked Boughton-under-Blean PR as well as Ospringe PR for marriages for the period 1640 to 1647 (generous allowance outside the confines of the potential first wife's death and the birth of the child to the potential second wife just to allow for any possible anomolies).

Sadly, there is no marriage of an Edward Watson to anyone in either parish in that time frame.  I don't have the other surrounding PRs immediately at hand. 

Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I've just checked Boughton-under-Blean PR as well as Ospringe PR for marriages for the period 1640 to 1647 (generous allowance outside the confines of the potential first wife's death and the birth of the child to the potential second wife just to allow for any possible anomolies).

Sadly, there is no marriage of an Edward Watson to anyone in either parish in that time frame.  I don't have the other surrounding PRs immediately at hand. 

Susan

Hi Susan

Thanks for checking that. No need to check any other parishes in the area yet though. It may be that Edward and Ann were married further away and indeed my Edward could be a different one to the Edward who married Margery.

I have been re-examining the 1698 Will of Isaac Watson (son of Edward and Anne) to see if there are any other clues in  that. Other than his brother Thomas, and his children, as well as Isaac's own children [and their spouses] and grandchildren, I can't see anyone else mentioned.

I did wonder if perhaps Edward left a Will but so far I've not found one. Interestingly though I have found a number of Watson family Wills for Watsons in Faversham. So far I have not been able to link all of these people together and so the answer might be in one of these Wills.

Of course the other possibility is that the transcription on Familysearch which records the christenings of Thomas Watson and Isaac Watson might be wrong. I am pretty sure I have checked the original PRs but I'm going to double check these when I get a moment.

The other possibility of course is that Edward and Anne were not married! I have seen it before and in fact I have one family group in Sussex where both man and woman were married to other people whilst having children between them (and with their legitimate spouses). This couple married several years after their last child was born and after the death's of both spouses. It made that tree very complicated to draw out lol! Could the same thing have happened here? Could Edward and Anne have married after Isaac was born, possibly not in Faversham or the nearby area?

I'll leave these Watsons here for now otherwise I'll get confused with those in Chilham [unless there's a connection there!] but I'll get back to these as soon as I've got some more details.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 December 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have now found Edward's marriage to Ann, but not where I expected it to be.

Edward appears to have married Ann Ward of St Andrew's Holborn, in Holborn in 1643. The following is from the London and Surrey Marriage Allgations:

"Edward Watson, aged 40, yeoman of Fenersham, Kent, married Ann Warde, age 30, of St Andrew, Holborn, 16 Feb 1643"

Fenersham is almost certainly a misspelling of Faversham which I've also seen as Feversham, and Fevershem.

At the moment I don't know why Edward was married in Holborn or what he was even doing there. I am pretty sure though that the name "Ward" is mentioned in the Will of his son Isaac so it does fit together.

Matt