Author Topic: How do I trace my family?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trace my family?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 October 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
I have the same question about my ancestor who migrated to Canada between 1839 and 1851. He did not like that country and returned with his family to England. Considering that a few years later he went to Darlingford in the Upper Goulburn country of Victoria - well known gold seeking area that the time was closer to 1851.
my George Thomas Gilbert was born 1806 in Shirehampton - a stones throw from the Port of Bristol. He married twice -
 m1.31.1.1837Midsomer Norton to Elizabeth FORD b1811d1844 m2.27.4.1845.S'hmptn. Elizabeth COXb1813S'hmptn.d1857.

I have no idea of ships or areas of settlement in Canada.
Any clues?

Cheers
Jack Gee

There are no comprehensive lists of immigrants arriving in Canada prior to 1865. Until that year, shipping companies were not required by the government to keep their passenger manifests.    Canadian passenger lists mostly cover the time 1865 - 1935 -

however, have a read here - Passenger Lists to Canada Before 1865

http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/articles/immcanpre1865.shtml

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 October 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle56

The Toronto Star newspaper has its archives online. I can't find a link at the moment but someone will hopefully post one. One needs to look for marriage and birth announcements in the time frame you are working with. The initial search is free but there is a nominal charge to view full records.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 October 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Toronto Star and Globe & Mail have archives searchable for those with a Toronto Public Library card. Let me know if you want me to look something up.
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline Michelle56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 October 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
I would love to know what happened to my relatives after they emigrated from England.
However I am not sure if they would want any contact with those who they left behind.
As they are still living I cannot post anything on here.
But as I am an amateur genealogist I have a need to know.

Michelle

May / Aberdeenshire - Cairnbulg - Inverallochy
White / Fairley- Lanarkshire - Glasgow - Hutchesontown
McLeod / Glasgow - Greenock - Liverpool
Beavan / Goodwin / Hesketh / Martindale / Poole / Quinn / Rimmer -Liverpool
Lesbirel / Lisbrel - Liverpool - Channel Islands/Jersey

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 October 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Michelle,have you tried looking for them on social media,Facebook or Twitter for example. Or just try googling their names. You can also try the Canadian phone books.

http://www.whitepages.ca/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 October 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
I think this link might work for the Toronto Star archives....fingers crossed....

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/search.html

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline Michelle56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 October 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
To be honest I haven't, mainly because I'm not sure where to start.
May / Aberdeenshire - Cairnbulg - Inverallochy
White / Fairley- Lanarkshire - Glasgow - Hutchesontown
McLeod / Glasgow - Greenock - Liverpool
Beavan / Goodwin / Hesketh / Martindale / Poole / Quinn / Rimmer -Liverpool
Lesbirel / Lisbrel - Liverpool - Channel Islands/Jersey

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 October 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sandra for thread #9.
This is the best clue that i have had for ages.

cheers
jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
The Toronto Reference Library has copies of city directories. You could contact the library and request a look-up (there might be a fee involved). Here is a link to the website: http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?R=LIB018

You could also post a request here on the Canada board and ask if anyone is going to the downtown reference library and if they'd be willing to do a look-up for you. You'd have to send the names and details via RootsChat's private message system, since the people you are looking for are still living.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters