Author Topic: At last .......  (Read 2686 times)

Offline juliebeg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
At last .......
« on: Thursday 26 October 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
after a couple of years having a relative just hanging there with only the barest info, suddenly a tiny snippet has been added and using that found her marriage, children and death.  Her son died in his 20s, her daughter emigrated to America, and I've managed to close off that particular branch. Absurdly pleased..........

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: At last .......
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 17 01:38 BST (UK) »
Good for you :) Always great when something like that happens.

Happened to me with an extra surname on a gravestone. Opened up all sorts of connections.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
I had a similar crevice suddenly appearing in a brick wall, recently. It's absurd how delighted we get over such things, isn't it? Congratulations, juliebeg, well-done.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 17 17:23 BST (UK) »

Well done juliebeg, makes you want to do a happy dance when that happens. :D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 October 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
When the Hackney Gazette was digitised on FindMyPast, I found the obituary for OH's 3 x great grandfather.  He was a Vice-Chairman of the Hackney Board of Guardians and the obit described the funeral, the family attendees and mentioned that the coffin bore his name, date of birth ;D and date of death.  This was a great find.  I was then able to match up a birth & baptism I'd had on the back-burner for over 10 years!  Was also able to confirm the deceased's sister as her husband attended the funeral.

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
I just love a good ending .........  ;D

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful feeling, isn't it Juliebeg? I wonder how long I will have to wait for that little something to appear that will lead me to answers I've been searching for for the past 10 years  :-\

Just as frustrating is finding something after a long time that was almost right under your nose.....

it took me 5 years searching for what happened to my great-grandfather after his first wife died. Eventually I discovered a second marriage, then probate records confirmed where he'd been living (and obviously died). My aunt was pleased to discover all this, she'd had no idea. 

Last week when I popped in and asked if I could have another look through her old photos/docs (having had a glimpse a while ago but little time to go through properly), there was an old address book that had belonged to my grandparents.........with the name and address of my great-grandfather.  ::)
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't you know it? So often when you've struggled for ages, and finally solved it, and you are chortling in triumph, someone calmly says "Oh yes, I think I knew that"
- and somehow, you avoid strangling them!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I think I have finally found my mother-in-law's parents in the 1901, 1911 Census!
Oral family history had her father as a bigamist - I think he ran off with the young lady boarding with his family to London  and set up home there. The birth dates tally and there is a repetition of first names in the two families as well.
Am I presuming too much or is it just coincidence?
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more