Author Topic: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."  (Read 5377 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."
« on: Friday 27 October 17 10:34 BST (UK) »

Hello There,

I am a little bit confused as to where the above is referring to.

I have looked into my probable 6x Great Grandad Benjamin Ringrose.
He was born in Edenham in 1735.
He married Mary Clark in Heydour, on the 6th of June 1765.

Mary was buried in Heydour on the 28th of May 1779. A freereg transcription gives her abode as: "Of the Lodge."

Benjamin had a son, also called Benjamin Ringrose. He was baptised in Heydour on the 5th of July 1781. In later years, he lived in Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
The transcription of Benjamin Ringrose senior, gives his place of birth on Family Search as: "Hather Lodge, Lincolnshire.":
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGDY-R7Q

I do not know if this may be a transcription error, or if the original image gives Benjamin's place of birth as the same place that Family Search gives.

I know that Benjamin Ringrose senior was a Farmer. On Find My Past, there is a  Transcript of Apprenticeship records, dated 1785. This gives Benjamin Ringrose's place as:
"Hathen, Lincolnshire."
It mentions Benjamin employing an Apprentice named Elizabeth Tebb:
Source: "Find My Past: The National Archives reference (IR 1 series) 32 f 108 Society of Genealogists number 161221"

Benjamin Ringrose senior was buried in Heydour, in January 1799.

Benjamin also had a Daughter called Ann (who I can't find a baptism for). She was born, according to Census records, in 1781/1782. She married Edward Marriott, in Nottinghamshire, I believe by Licence, sometime in around 1803. On the 1851 Census, her place of birth has also been transcribed as: "Hather, Lincolnshire.":
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG6K-W99

I have been told by somebody via "Ancestry", that the above Ann, was the Daughter of Benjamin Ringrose, of Heydour. It apparently states that this Ann was: "Daughter of Benjamin Ringrose, of Heydour ", on the Non Conformist baptism for Ann's Daughter Mary, at Nottingham. This Mary according to that register, was born on the 31st of Dec 1805, and baptised on the 1st of Jan 1806.
Because I don't subscribe to Ancestry, I am not able to view the original image on there. It would be interesting to know, if it does indeed mention "Benjamin Ringrose of Heydour."
The source for the above, I believe is:
"England and Wales, Non - Conformist and Non - Parochial Registers 1567 - 1970."

I don't know if "The Lodge, Heydour/ Hather" refers to a specific building, or the name of an actual place.
I also don't know if the transcriptions that state "Hather"/ "Hathen" are possibly both transcription errors for Heydour. I cannot seem to find any reference to a Lodge in Heydour, or reference to place names of Hathen/ Hather.

Any information relating to the above would be gratefully accepted.  :) ;)

Thank you very much.  :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
If you have a sub to FindMyPast, then you can view the image of Mary Marriott's baptism here - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kyi/.

It does say that Ann was the daughter of Benjamin Ringrose, Farmer, parish of Hather Lincolnshire.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 October 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
deleted, wrong info :-[,
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
If you search the 1851 census for THOMPSON in Haydor, you will find 20 people (a whole page) living at Haydor Lodge.

(A farmer - John G H THOMPSON - his family, servants and labourers)

I imagine Haydor and Hather could sound very similar.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
This map is of Heydor/Haydor Lodge but it is south of the village - https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/499577/337169/12/100251

You may need to zoom out a few times to see it.

On Google maps at NG32 3AE

There is a Heath Farm just below it.

On Bing Maps you can load an Ordnance Survey map of the area, which shows Heydor Lodge Farm and Heath Farm.

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
There are references to the Newtons of Hather or Hatherthorp(e).

Culverthorpe near Heydor is also referred to as Thorpe or Hatherthorpe - http://www.parksandgardens.org/places-and-people/site/1019?preview=1

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
If you have a sub to FindMyPast, then you can view the image of Mary Marriott's baptism here - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kyi/.

It does say that Ann was the daughter of Benjamin Ringrose, Farmer, parish of Hather Lincolnshire.

Thank you.  :)

Curiosity got the better of me today. I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast, but I looked the baptism above up at the Library.
I wasn't sure weather or not it said "Hather" or "Hatton."
But I suppose it could be Hather. And this may sound like "Heydour." It is also correct that it did state the PARISH of aswell.

Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
There are references to the Newtons of Hather or Hatherthorp(e).

Culverthorpe near Heydor is also referred to as Thorpe or Hatherthorpe - http://www.parksandgardens.org/places-and-people/site/1019?preview=1

David

Thank you very much for this.

This is all starting to make sense now.

Cheers.  :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Can I just check? You state the transcription of Benjamin Senior gives his place of birth as "Hather Lodge" and give a link. Doesn't the link identify Benjamin Junior NOT Benjamin Senior?

FindMyPast (image of original) - the baptismal record reads -
"Baptisms in the Parish of Heydour for the year 1871
July 5th Benjamin son of Benjamin & Anne Ringrose at ye(?) Lodge"

Cannot see any reference to "Hather Lodge"