Author Topic: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."  (Read 5354 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me today. I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast, but I looked the baptism above up at the Library.
I wasn't sure weather or not it said "Hather" or "Hatton."
But I suppose it could be Hather. And this may sound like "Heydour." It is also correct that it did state the PARISH of aswell.

If it doesn't say Hather, it will be Hathen not Hatton.  If you think about it, Hather and Hayder (as it may possibly be pronounced, I don't know for definite) will sound very similar depending on the accent.

There is a William Ringrose in Oxford on the 1851 Census aged either 51 or 57 (can't decide which but his burial in 1859 lists him as 65 years so 57 may be more accurate) whose birthplace is listed as Haydor or Haydour or Haydorn (not very clear).  This suggests that Heydour is probably pronounced more like Haydor as there is a William baptised in Heydour in 1794, so 57 years old would be more accurate but he appears to be about 20 years older than his wife so could've dropped a few years for appearance sake.  The GRO website death registration with the age added says 65 years too.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Can I just check? You state the transcription of Benjamin Senior gives his place of birth as "Hather Lodge" and give a link. Doesn't the link identify Benjamin Junior NOT Benjamin Senior?

FindMyPast (image of original) - the baptismal record reads -
"Baptisms in the Parish of Heydour for the year 1871
July 5th Benjamin son of Benjamin & Anne Ringrose at ye(?) Lodge"

Cannot see any reference to "Hather Lodge"

Sorry.

If I stated Benjamin Senior, I made a mistake. I meant to state Benjamin Junior.
Benjamin junior was born in 1781, according to Freereg. Here is his baptism copied and pasted from there:

Field

Value

County Lincolnshire
Place (link for place information) Heydour
Church name St Michael
Register type Unspecified
Baptism date 05 Jul 1781
Person forename Benjamin
Person sex M
Person abode At the Lodge
Father forename Benjamin
Father surname RINGROSE
Mother forename Anne
And here is a link to an 1851 transcription of Benjamin Ringrose junior. He is living at Southwell.
The transcription for his place of birth states: "Hather Lodge, Lincolnshire.":
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGDY-R7Q

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 October 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me today. I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast, but I looked the baptism above up at the Library.
I wasn't sure weather or not it said "Hather" or "Hatton."
But I suppose it could be Hather. And this may sound like "Heydour." It is also correct that it did state the PARISH of aswell.

If it doesn't say Hather, it will be Hathen not Hatton.  If you think about it, hather and Hayder (as it may possibly be pronounced, I don't know for definite, will sound very similar depending on the accent.

There is a William Ringrose in Oxford on the 1851 Census aged either 51 or 57 (can't decide which but his burial in 1859 lists him as 65 years so 57 may be more accurate) whose birthplace is listed as Haydor or Haydour or Haydorn (not very clear).  This suggests that Heydour is probably pronounced more like Haydor as there is a William baptised in Heydour in 1794, so 57 years old would be more accurate but he appears to be about 20 years older than his wife so could've dropped a few years for appearance sake.  The GRO website death registration with the age added says 65 years too.

Yes.
Thanks once again. I looked into that William. And the only one I could find was the baptism for William in Heydour, in 1794 also.
I had not thought of the idea that he may have lied about his age, due to his age difference between himself and his Wife. Haha!  :)

Cheers.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 October 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
Oops!
I too made a boo-boo. I typed 1871 - shd of course have been 1781.

Apologies

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 October 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Oops!
I too made a boo-boo. I typed 1871 - shd of course have been 1781.

Apologies
No worries.  :) ;)
And it is the 1851 Census transcription that states Benjamin's place of birth as: "Hather Lodge, Lincolnshire."

Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 October 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
If you search the 1851 census for THOMPSON in Haydor, you will find 20 people (a whole page) living at Haydor Lodge.

(A farmer - John G H THOMPSON - his family, servants and labourers)

I imagine Haydor and Hather could sound very similar.

Thanks.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 October 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
This map is of Heydor/Haydor Lodge but it is south of the village - https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/499577/337169/12/100251

You may need to zoom out a few times to see it.

On Google maps at NG32 3AE

There is a Heath Farm just below it.

Much obliged, thanks.
My Benjamin Ringrose senior was a Farmer.
In the 1851 Census transcription, his son Benjamin Ringrose, was living in Southwell, Notts.He was baptised in 1781. His place of birth has been put down as: "Hather Lodge, Lincolnshire."

This website, I have just seen explains that Heydour was sometimes referred to as: "Hather". And other people on here have explained the same to me also:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Heydour

Therefore, Benjamin Ringrose junior may probably have been born at Heydour Lodge Farm.

Thaks very much everybody.  :) ;)

On Bing Maps you can load an Ordnance Survey map of the area, which shows Heydor Lodge Farm and Heath Farm.

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 October 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
This site has old maps of Lincolnshire:-

http://www.oldmapsonline.org

These two show Hather but no Heydor

http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1809_14.jpg&col=ryh

https://collections.leventhalmap.org/search/commonwealth:ww72bp36x

The later ones show Haydor but no Hather - e.g.Cary's England 42-43

If you search in Google Books for John Newton Hather, it includes articles by Isaac Newton and one is 'The Life of Sir Isaac Newton', in which he states that Sir John was his great-grandfather.

Searching on John Newton Culverthorpe gives additional references to the same family

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 October 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
This site has old maps of Lincolnshire:-

http://www.oldmapsonline.org

These two show Hather but no Heydor

http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1809_14.jpg&col=ryh

https://collections.leventhalmap.org/search/commonwealth:ww72bp36x

The later ones show Haydor but no Hather - e.g.Cary's England 42-43

If you search in Google Books for John Newton Hather, it includes articles by Isaac Newton and one is 'The Life of Sir Isaac Newton', in which he states that Sir John was his great-grandfather.

Searching on John Newton Culverthorpe gives additional references to the same family

David

Thank you.
The maps are very interesting.
And I too did wander if there was a connection between Sir Isaac Newton, mentioned in an earlier post on here, and the Newtons of Culverthorpe.  :) ;)