Author Topic: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."  (Read 5358 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 October 17 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me today. I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast, but I looked the baptism above up at the Library.
I wasn't sure weather or not it said "Hather" or "Hatton."
But I suppose it could be Hather. And this may sound like "Heydour." It is also correct that it did state the PARISH of aswell.

If it doesn't say Hather, it will be Hathen not Hatton.  If you think about it, Hather and Hayder (as it may possibly be pronounced, I don't know for definite) will sound very similar depending on the accent.

There is a William Ringrose in Oxford on the 1851 Census aged either 51 or 57 (can't decide which but his burial in 1859 lists him as 65 years so 57 may be more accurate) whose birthplace is listed as Haydor or Haydour or Haydorn (not very clear).  This suggests that Heydour is probably pronounced more like Haydor as there is a William baptised in Heydour in 1794, so 57 years old would be more accurate but he appears to be about 20 years older than his wife so could've dropped a few years for appearance sake.  The GRO website death registration with the age added says 65 years too.

Following on from my previous reply to you:

There was a William Ringrose, baptised in Heydour in 1794, as we mentioned.
But there was also a William Ringrose baptised in Heydour, in 1809. And on the FreeReg transcription, in the notes, it states: "aged 15 years."

This is quite puzzling. It seems that the same person may have been baptised in the same place 15 years apart.  ::)

I cannot think why this may have been.  :)

Thank you.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Presumably, he didn't know if he'd been "done".

Father died 1799  ... was it his mother who was buried in Grantham 1800 (widow aged 48)?
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »

Father died 1799  ... was it his mother who was buried in Grantham 1800 (widow aged 48)?
Yes,

That's right, his Mother was Ann, buried in Grantham in 1800, a Widow aged 48.

Haha! I didn't think of the option about him not knowing if he'd benn "done".

:) ;)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
One of mine wasn't "done" till much later. Notice "baptised conditionally" as he obviously didn't know if he'd been done before.

He spent the rest of his life saying that he was Thomas Howard EVERITT, but used his real name for the bap.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
One of mine wasn't "done" till much later. Notice "baptised conditionally" as he obviously didn't know if he'd been done before.

He spent the rest of his life saying that he was Thomas Howard EVERITT, but used his real name for the bap.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »

Yes,

That's assuming that is the great Ann Ringrose burial. ;)  However, I agree, if he didn't know he'd been baptised, that would explain the later one.

One of my ancestors was born Nov 1783 in Chenies and had himself baptised Dec 1858 in Rickmansworth (six years before his death).  Several of his siblings do not also appear to have been baptised either.  A brother got himself baptised just before he married but he was in only in his 30s at the time.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »

Yes,

That's assuming that is the great Ann Ringrose burial. ;)  However, I agree, if he didn't know he'd been baptised, that would explain the later one.

One of my ancestors was born Nov 1783 in Chenies and had himself baptised Dec 1858 in Rickmansworth (six years before his death).  Several of his siblings do not also appear to have been baptised either.  A brother got himself baptised just before he married but he was in only in his 30s at the time.

Thanks once again,

You have all been a great help.  :) ;)

Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »

My 5x Great Grandad, Samuel Ringrose, does not appear to have been baptised either.
I was helped to work out his lineage, by a member on "Ancestry", who found him in the 1861 Census, with his Sister, Ann Marriott. We then looked at the previous 1851 Census and found Ann in the same place, in Greasley, and with the same sons and daughters, as were with her in the 1861 Census. Her place of birth was put down as: "Hather, Lincolnshire."
 Then the Non - Conformist baptism was found for Anne's second Daughter Mary, in 1806 in Nottingham which mentioned Ann's Father being: "Benjamin Ringrose, a Farmer of the parish of Hather."
My Samuel, looking at the age on Census returns, and his age at death, on burial, was probably born in 1784.
Ann, his Sister, was born around 1782.
We know from the "Apprenticeship Record" of their Father, Benjamin, that in 1785, he was residing at Hather.
But looking back on the original parish records, there does not seem to be a baptism for Ann, or Samuel around those years.  :)

Offline suejohnsoncroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
So glad you have changed your mind Richard on the Ringroses.

I knew my research last year was correct but no one believed me!

I took a leap of faith and deleted my incorrect part of the tree about a year ago, everyone else including yourself & Donald Ringrose still have their trees as Nottinghamshire ancestry.

I knew  as soon as I found the the miss transcribed census that this was a crucial bit to my tree, as it linked Ann and Samuel as brother and sister, granted it did not help that Samuel did not know where he was born, but on the previous census 1851 his sister was very specific, this also lead me to find their other sibling Benjamin who was in Southwell Nottinghamshire on the census records and he also states he was born in Hather/ Heydour. The final piece to confirm my findings was the non-conformist baptism At the New Connection Methodist church Parliament Street, Nottingham. of Edward and Ann Marriot's daughter Mary where Ann gives her father name as Benjamin Ringrose (Senior) of Haydour Lincolnshire.

From these two key documents I was able to get the tree back to 1684 with a baptism of John Ringrose father Moses,(Miller) and with research from another poster (She knows who she is!) the tree is looking like it be taken further back.

Welcome to the other side!
Croot, Pell, Titmus, Mellors Holmes, Roberts, Grey ( From Gamlingay to Derbyshire)
 Pointez,(France. Notts & Derbys)
Searle, Clark, Hall, Ringrose, Flatters, Howard, Holmes Robert, Lindsey, & Kettleband (Mostly Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire)
Weldon,( Westmeath Eire)
My favorite family names: Surname Hubleday and the most impressive My 3rd G, Grandmother. Genevieve Euphrosine Charlotte DUBOIS !