Author Topic: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."  (Read 5357 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ringrose's of "The Lodge, Heydour." / "Hather/ Hathen."
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:49 GMT (UK) »
So glad you have changed your mind Richard on the Ringroses.

I knew my research last year was correct but no one believed me!

I took a leap of faith and deleted my incorrect part of the tree about a year ago, everyone else including yourself & Donald Ringrose still have their trees as Nottinghamshire ancestry.

I knew  as soon as I found the the miss transcribed census that this was a crucial bit to my tree, as it linked Ann and Samuel as brother and sister, granted it did not help that Samuel did not know where he was born, but on the previous census 1851 his sister was very specific, this also lead me to find their other sibling Benjamin who was in Southwell Nottinghamshire on the census records and he also states he was born in Hather/ Heydour. The final piece to confirm my findings was the non-conformist baptism At the New Connection Methodist church Parliament Street, Nottingham. of Edward and Ann Marriot's daughter Mary where Ann gives her father name as Benjamin Ringrose (Senior) of Haydour Lincolnshire.

From these two key documents I was able to get the tree back to 1684 with a baptism of John Ringrose father Moses,(Miller) and with research from another poster (She knows who she is!) the tree is looking like it be taken further back.

Welcome to the other side!
Hello Sue,

I have sent you an e-mail message regarding the above.
Also, I think the last time that I looked on Ancestry, there were around 10 trees that had Samuel down as being born in Heydour.  :) ;)

Offline suejohnsoncroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't often look at trees on Ancestry so though my info might be out of date, but when I just did a search only mine and yours came up, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
Croot, Pell, Titmus, Mellors Holmes, Roberts, Grey ( From Gamlingay to Derbyshire)
 Pointez,(France. Notts & Derbys)
Searle, Clark, Hall, Ringrose, Flatters, Howard, Holmes Robert, Lindsey, & Kettleband (Mostly Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire)
Weldon,( Westmeath Eire)
My favorite family names: Surname Hubleday and the most impressive My 3rd G, Grandmother. Genevieve Euphrosine Charlotte DUBOIS !

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't often look at trees on Ancestry so though my info might be out of date, but when I just did a search only mine and yours came up, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
For Samuel in my "Hints Section", it is 12 actually:

"This hint compiles information from 12 other Public Ancestry Member Trees.

Name
Samuel Ringrose

Birth
Abt. Jun 1784 - Heydour, Lincolnshire, England

Death
6 July 1867 - Bingham, Nottinghamshire, England"

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »

Possibly I might have misinterpreted what it means in the "Hints Section". The hints does say COMPILES information from 12 other trees, not COMPLIES with.
Because I don't subscribe to Ancestry, I don't know either way.  :)

Thanks.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
From these two key documents I was able to get the tree back to 1684 with a baptism of John Ringrose father Moses,(Miller) and with research from another poster (She knows who she is!) the tree is looking like it be taken further back.
;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
So glad you have changed your mind Richard on the Ringroses.

I knew my research last year was correct but no one believed me!

I took a leap of faith and deleted my incorrect part of the tree about a year ago, everyone else including yourself & Donald Ringrose still have their trees as Nottinghamshire ancestry.

I knew  as soon as I found the the miss transcribed census that this was a crucial bit to my tree, as it linked Ann and Samuel as brother and sister, granted it did not help that Samuel did not know where he was born, but on the previous census 1851 his sister was very specific, this also lead me to find their other sibling Benjamin who was in Southwell Nottinghamshire on the census records and he also states he was born in Hather/ Heydour. The final piece to confirm my findings was the non-conformist baptism At the New Connection Methodist church Parliament Street, Nottingham. of Edward and Ann Marriot's daughter Mary where Ann gives her father name as Benjamin Ringrose (Senior) of Haydour Lincolnshire.

Welcome to the other side!

The other reason why I changed my mind was because of this (which I have been thinking about lately haha!):

The original Nottinghamshire lineage tree of Samuel Ringrose had him being born: "abt.1783 in either Sutton on Trent/ Normanton on Trent Nottinghamshire."
He was put down as being a son of William Ringrose, and Sarah Andrew who were married on the 21st of April 1783, in Normanton on Trent Nottinghamshire.
His siblings were put down as being baptised in: Normanton, Swinderby, Lincs, and there was one (Maria) baptised in Langford, Nottinghamshire, in 1793.
Samuel had 11 siblings on that "Nottinghamshire Tree".
My main problem apart from what had been discovered regarding the "Hather Lincolnshire Lineage" was the fact that all of Samuel's other proposed Nottinghamshire siblings, all eleven of them, their baptisms had been found, but Samuel's hadn't been.
If a baptism does appear for my Samuel, I will of course change my tree.
However, there doesn't appear to be much room to "squeeze him in anywhere." Haha!
Especially if you bear in mind the fact that he was born in 1784-1785, according to census records, his burial record, and his death certificate. The 1841 census image shows his age to be "56", but has been transcribed as: "50". It is 66 on the 1851 census, and 76, on the 1861 Census.
He died on the 6th of July 1867 and his age on the death certificate was put down as 83.

These are children born baptised to William Ringrose and Sarah Andrew, before 1788:

William Ringrose Andrew (born before parents were married). bap 19 Jan 1783, Normanton on Trent.
John Ringrose. bap 28 Jan 1784, Swinderby, Lincs.
Thomas Ringrose. bap 4 Oct 1785, Swinderby.
Mary. bap 25 June 1787, Swinderby.

Looking at this, some might suggest that he could have been baptised in 1786. But I believe if he had been baptised in 1786 in Swinderby, it would have been found. This is because further baptisms of the above Ringrose's baptised in Swinderby between 1787-1791 can be found.

So, in short, even though there appears to be no baptism for Samuel in Hather, Lincs for those years (or his sister Ann Ringrose): I feel that it is much more likely that he was born in Hather, rather than in Sutton/ Normanton on Trent Notts, for the above reasons and the evidence found on the 1861 census and baptism registers of two of Ann Ringrose's children.

I find it strange that in the 1851 Census, Samuel's place of birth was put down as: "Not Known". I wander why this would have been? Could it have been because he was asleep? Haha!  :) ;)

Offline suejohnsoncroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree with these facts, that’s way I continued my research in 2016 and found the Heather connection.
Regarding the 1851 census. My thoughts were he was only the lodger, so he my not have known what details were given to the enumerator. Then on looking on the 1861 census he is living with his sister who stated they were born in Lincoln, Samuel did live in Lincoln for a few years or it could just have been abbreviated from Lincolnshire. To try and refine the area I searched for more Ringrose’s in Nottinghamshire and looked for place of birth I found a Benjamin born in Hather Lincolnshire so used this as a starting point, I found baptisms for Benjamin and a Mary but not Ann or Samuel who’s ages based on census records falls between these siblings. So still no conclusive proof, however the crucial information was on the Non Conformist Baptism record which I advised of in March last year. This was the baptism of Ann’s daughter Mary which states that Mary is the daughter of Ann and Edward Marriott. Ann being the daughter of Benjamin Ringrose Farmer of Hather Lincolnshire.
Since on the 1861 census it is stated that Samuel is her brother then we must assume that Benjamin is also the father of Samuel.
I don’t like assumptions but on checking the Heydour Parish Records Find The Benjamin was Benjamin Snr and his wife Ann’s first born son, based on census records Ann was born c1782, so their first born daughter was named after her mother Ann. Samuel was born c1785 then their sister Mary was born 1787 her baptism states parents Benjamin and Ann, so I think we can safely say Ann and Benjamin have the same parents as these siblings. A further link is Samuel called his daughter Charlotte, Samuels younger sister was also called Charlotte.
I was now happy this was the correct family I got the research back with certainty to 1655 and possibly with the work of another researcher she has got them back another two generations or more if we assume that a family with the same names but in a nearby county are the same family. She was working on a different line in the family and our research met.
So many twists and turns but I finally got there.
Even with the evidence no one was convinced. Eventually you were! Ha ha
Croot, Pell, Titmus, Mellors Holmes, Roberts, Grey ( From Gamlingay to Derbyshire)
 Pointez,(France. Notts & Derbys)
Searle, Clark, Hall, Ringrose, Flatters, Howard, Holmes Robert, Lindsey, & Kettleband (Mostly Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire)
Weldon,( Westmeath Eire)
My favorite family names: Surname Hubleday and the most impressive My 3rd G, Grandmother. Genevieve Euphrosine Charlotte DUBOIS !

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 April 18 05:33 BST (UK) »
Early newspapers reported the appointment of gamekeepers.

Stamford Mercury, Fri, 28 Sep 1787
LINCOLNSHIRE,PARTS OF KESTEVEN
Gamekeepers
Deputed - Ringrose, Benjamin - Haydor
By whom - Duke of Rutland
Manor - Ropsley

His entry for Sep 1789  reads -
Keepers' Names - Ringrove (sic), Benjamin of Hather
Lords and Ladies of Manors - ... Isabella, Duchess of Rutland and Henry Duke of Beaufort; Right Hon William, Earl of Mansfield and the Right Hon William Pitt
Manor - Ropsley

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 April 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
The Stamford Mercury, 9 April 1778, reported the death of Emanuel Langford, M.A., rector of Ormsby and Vicar of Hather.

The Clergydatabase - Emanuel Langford

Instituted Vicar - location Hather with Kelby, 10/4/1747
Death - Office Vicar - location Heydour with Kelby and Thorpe, 28 April 1778