Author Topic: Mystery of my Mother as a Reynolds in Castlederg  (Read 6567 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of my Mother as a Reynolds in Castlederg
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 October 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Reynolds was not her birth name?  There is one Sarah with a possible match born  6 September 1912 in Castlederg, surname Mulligan, father's name William, and mother's name Margaret Ann Sproule from Altamullin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 October 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Reynolds was not her birth name?  There is one Sarah with a possible match born  6 September 1912 in Castlederg, surname Mulligan, father's name William, and mother's name Margaret Ann Sproule from Altamullin.
Sarah Mulligan mentioned above was born in Altamullin (which is in Castlederg registration district) not in Castlederg.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1912/01473/1599894.pdf

some children older than Sarah-
Samuel (1900) https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01985/1764186.pdf
Richard (1903)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1903/01879/1730973.pdf
Letitia (1905)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01784/1700611.pdf
James Sproule (1907)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1907/01677/1666870.pdf
and two younger...
Thomas (1914)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1914/01395/1573565.pdf
Martha (20 June 1915)- no image online

Family in 1911- older children's births will be on Irish Genealogy site (as should parents' marriage) but will not be indexed with mother's maiden name.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Corgary/Altamullan/853039
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 October 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
All this detective work is driving me nuts. :)
Actually it's the joy of family history.....

Birth date not certain - given as 6th Sept 1912 but even she was never sure.
I can't actually be sure of any info other than what is on the marriage certificate. Hopefully this is accurate otherwise I am lost.
You're never lost with rootschat. And you can never be absolutely sure of what was on a certificate. The registrar wrote what he was told & only wrote answers to his/her questions.

Seriously though, there have been quite a few interesting leads thrown up by rootschatters. I would only be convinced that your mother's day of birth was 6 Sep with the year to be yet determined. If she was brought up by others and if she had reason to on marriage, the year is easily fudged.

And my bet [see reply #2] is that her name was Sarah.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Don't forget Sadie is also Sarah....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
That's what I was trying to say, hallmark - her given name was Sarah but know as Sadie
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Me too.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 October 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Didn't see any Mercedes parked on list!!  ;D

That's what makes this hobby so enjoyable, being able to have a wee laugh along the way when all our concentration is buried in names/dates/places/banging our heads off desks/walls...it's great to have some amusing quips to lighten things  ;D

To Cogs (Be prepared)!...

Did you ever know any of your mother's siblings?
Do you know if she kept in touch with any of her siblings?
Do you recall her mentioning anything which may not seem significant but could be (anything regarding her family at all)?
Do you recall any other surnames mentioned or places?
Did your mother never mention her family or parents?

I actually gleaned a lot of 'vague' info, from my aunt (my mother's sis) on their parents when I started asking questions (my mother died 1982) as things came to her mind which she didn't think to be of any use but I used every thread she gave me & from knowing nothing (they were orphaned) those little 'threads' were the making of my maternal line now back to 1700s!

If you recall anything at all it is worth mentioning no matter how vague!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 October 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Cogs- do you know when Sadie's husband was born?
if he was born around 1912 perhaps she was born earlier but didn't want to appear older?
or perhaps she was younger but said she was 21 in order to get married?

Due to family circumstances she may not have know much about her family (so father's details could be incorrect) or perhaps difficult circumstances meant she didn't want to talk about her earlier life.

Are there any relatives that might have clues? don't discount members of her husband's family knowing something they were told or overheard.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 October 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
don't discount members of her husband's family knowing something they were told or overheard.

Good point Aghadowey, it's amazing what info. was kept from children but older generations were 'in the know' & hopefully passed on to their children?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"