Author Topic: Mystery of my Mother as a Reynolds in Castlederg  (Read 6579 times)

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of my Mother as a Reynolds in Castlederg
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 October 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The nearest I came, although fathers name is Oliver.

Sara Jane Mcreynolds b. 05-08-1912 cookstown,tyrone. parents Oliver mcreynolds & mary Johnston.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks one and all to those that have taken the time to respond to my 'mystery' post.
I have been on this quest for a few years now and to answer earlier replies I have nothing to go on other than the marriage cert.
I have over recent times become sceptical that her name was actually Reynolds or a variation of that as it seems there were very little background identity checks made in 1933 and she was a beautiful young Irish woman that marrying a British soldier.
Even my siblings were given different accounts of her family and early life so I can only surmise that it was troubled or there was something that she felt she couldn't reveal.
As I was the youngest of four and very close to my Mother I believe that the innocent stories she used to tell me of an early but hard life on a farm in Castlederg are close to the truth.

If the name, DOB etc; can't be relied upon I'm thinking that adoption records may be a way forward but I don't know where to start on that route. If a family of 6 brothers and sisters including twin girls was split up around 1930 surely there would once have been be records of this ?
My only knowledge of this unhappy event is that my Mother went to live with relatives in Paisley Scotland, worked in service before returning to Larne to marry.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Sara Jane Mcreynolds b. 05-08-1912 cookstown,tyrone. parents Oliver mcreynolds & mary Johnston.
Cookstown is the opposite end of Tyrone but if the above Oliver McReynolds & Mary Johnston are the same parents of this child born 1878 then unlikely to be a match-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPT6-SZQ
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 October 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
One never knows.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
One never knows.
At this point anything that can be found and eliminated is probably useful.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 October 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
There you go then.😀
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Cookstown is the opposite end of Tyrone but if the above Oliver McReynolds & Mary Johnston are the same parents of this child born 1878 then unlikely to be a match-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPT6-SZQ

Yes - lots of Reynolds in and around Cookstown but as you say other side of Tyrone. My philosophy has been if the name Reynolds is correct and Castlederg was birthplace there must be some Reynolds in that area at some point in time, as I don't believe people moved around internally that much.

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget Sadie is also Sarah....

Yes - My Mother did use the name Sarah. The problem is no links to the surname Reynolds and the area Castlederg.

Offline Calden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that Reynolds was not her birth name?  There is one Sarah with a possible match born  6 September 1912 in Castlederg, surname Mulligan, father's name William, and mother's name Margaret Ann Sproule from Altamullin.
Many thanks to you, didn't realise at the time how valuable your reply was.
Two years after I originally posted this 'mystery' as user cogs291 I have found through DNA that you hit the nail on the head with your theory of Reynolds not being my Mothers birth name, and that she was the Sarah Mulligan you suggested.
I've since been able to research her Milligan/Mulligan family from Altamullan and connect with some cousins around the world - though many of her siblings descendants remain elusive after the family split, as does the reason she used the Reynolds name for her wedding.
So the full mystery for me remains to be solved, but I've learned not to dismiss suggestions like yours so quickly and not to trust paper records.