Author Topic: Shipping record from Germany to New Zealand  (Read 818 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Shipping record from Germany to New Zealand
« on: Friday 27 October 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Moin alle,

I posted on the NZ board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781442
trying to find the emmigration/immigration of a Jakob GUCKERT from Germany to NZ around 1862.

It was suggested that SKS here in the Europe board might know of another resource available at the German end where I could search please.

Thanks
Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping record from Germany to New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Twiggy.
Just read your other posts.
Have you thought that he may have been a seaman and jumped ship? I have seen this before with Swedish seamen during the gold rushes.

Ian

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
Ian,

No I have not!

Strangely not much seems to be know about this man between his birth in 1832 (in Germany) and his marriage in 1883 (in New Zealand).

If he were a seaman wouldn't that mean there is even less chance of a record being found?

Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
I have found a number of Scandinavian seaman jumping ship and changing their names as not to get caught making it very difficult to trace them. If your Jacob did jump ship then you will need to find more evidence of his birth otherwise it is not going to be easy.

To answer your question, there will be no official record unfortunately.

Ian