Author Topic: John Rogers  (Read 2732 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Rogers
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 October 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
I think that the Selina Rogers/Rodgers in Liverpool 1911 is going to be the wrong one. I think that she MAY be a Selina Sealby/Pascoe from Gwennap, who also married or lived with a Thomas or Wm Prater in Illinois, meaning that her Rogers husband has died and she then lived with Prater in Michigan. At one stage a Wm Prater and two Rogers chn were listed as her children in Lancashire and Michigan. I remember tracing the boy Prater back to the USA. His father died in a mining accident there.

Would the right Selina Rogers, nee Trounce, please stand up and tell us if you had any children with Martin Rogers died 3 Sep 1894 Lanner, Gwennap, and where did you die post being an informant and widow at the time of his death!
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
I don't think there is a Selina Sealby but the 1911 entry is definitely the Selina Pascoe born Gwennap.  However - there is no Selina Pascoe marriage to a Rodgers/Rogers in England. She still says she is married in 1911 and has been married 29yrs (1881)

But - the 1891 entry you posted shows 2 Prater children born before 1882 and a Rodgers child born USA 1882/3 indicating a marriage in the USA

If you are researching Selina Trounce who married Martin Rogers - there are no birth entries so there were no children born to them in England.  Martin died in England 1894 but I can't find an 1891 entry for him.

Selina aged 38 b Phillack is indexed as Rogen in 1891 married but living alone and shown as living on own means    RG12 Piece 1845 Folio 9 Page 11
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
That is a great find with Selina as Rogen in 1891. We have her mother-in-law Elizabeth Rogers, nee Thomas dying 27 Jul 1878 at Penstruthal, with Selina as the informant. I will now be interested to see if your find for Selina, to see if she was living in the Rogers cottage in Penstruthal. Martin's death in 1894 was  recorded as Lanner Gwennap, and another record says Bell, Lanner. I tried to map the Penstruthal location which was close to the top of where Rough Street, Lanner Hill meets the Penstruthal farm.

No, I could not find Martin Rogers in 1891.

His death certificate (I purchased) says that his was a gold miner, definately indicated to me he was overseas; however, in saying that, I have not traced his re-entry back into England before his death in 1894. I can trace his Gwennap/Illogan Rogers relatives in Natal; Chile; Bendigo and Michigan all at this time.

Thank you
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Selina Rogers is living with Urias Rogers.

I know who he is, a first cousin of Martin Rogers, her husband. Urias and his brother Arnold went to Victoria in 1857, as did  Martin's older half brothers James Rogers (b.1831 Penventon) and John Rogers (b. 1833 Penventon). Urias returned to Gwennap. Arnold and his cousin James Rogers died in Bendigo and Martin's brother John Rogers (my main research interest) died somewhere and time time we think in Victoria, a loner. He was separated from his wife Julia Phillips.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 October 17 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I mis-read that Census address for Selina Rogers in 1891. Lodging house with maybe Annie Symons at Carharrack village and not with Urias Rogers.