Author Topic: Possible to contact someone with just UserName on Ances*?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Possible to contact someone with just UserName on Ances*?
« on: Saturday 28 October 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
I am the researcher in the family.  I talked my brother (and mum) into taking a DNA test.  I belong to the pay site (Ances*) but he doesn't.  He was contacted by someone who who believes they may be 4th or 5th cousins.  He is not interested in replying and forwarded their message to me.  I tried searching for the lady who wrote to him (searching for her username), but either one cannot do this, or I don't know where to look on the site.  Is it possible to contact someone on the site by only knowing their username, please?  Thank you for any advice.  Lisa

PS  I've tried looking at various trees hoping to see her name, but so far, no luck.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to contact someone with just UserName on Ances*?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
You should be able to contact them.

Try this link, it should work.

https://www.ancestry.com/community/directory/directory.aspx
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 17 04:25 BST (UK) »
Excellent!  I didn't search the options under the tabs; now I know where to look in the future.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your guidance!  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 17 07:01 BST (UK) »
If your brother isn't interested in the genealogy side of things he could set you up to be able to view or manage his matches, if he hasn't already.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 October 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi hurworth:

I talked him into taking the test, as I had (possibly erroneously) read that there could be "better" test results from a male.  Unfortunately, he has never really been interested in genealogy; he just took the test to humour me (I did pay for it).   ;)

I didn't realize that I could manage his matches (as well as our mum's).  I will look into that this weekend.  Thank you very much for suggesting it!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
I belong to the pay site (Ances*) but he doesn't.  He was contacted by someone who who believes they may be 4th or 5th cousins.  He is not interested in replying and forwarded their message to me. 

Hi Lisa...

I'm in the same boat, my brother had his DNA done with 23etc. & has no tree on 'Anc'

He has given me the email & password to look at his (23) matches etc. & I then send messages with my own email for any replies (all fairly new).

Can you not do the same or get your brother to pass on your email as the person may NOT have an ancestry tree either?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 October 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie:

My brother runs his own small business so his free time is somewhat limited.  Last Fall, my mum moved next door to him so that he could help take care of her. 

My brother is very kindhearted but possibly due to the above, he has yet to reply to some of my questions/polite requests such as could you please give the lady my email address.   :-\

I had a difficult time turning off the computer last night (I didn't want to stop), as I was going through the list of names that my mum sent to me when she received her possible matches.  I sent several messages on Ance* to possible matches; I've just received a reply from a possible 3rd - 4th cousin.  Thanks to the wonderful guidance by RootsChatters, someone has replied to my message.

I appreciate all suggestions and guidance - it really does make researching a bit easier.  :)  Now off to read their message.   ;D

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 October 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
Oh-oh.  I need to update my Ances* tree (I don't remember the last time I worked on it - I use a 6-generation paper copy to add updates).  Three people have replied to my Ances* messages during the past 30 minutes.  I was hoping that maybe one or two people would eventually write back -- success!   ;D

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 17 04:51 GMT (UK) »
As hurworth said, you should connect both your brother and your mother to your Ancestry tree, then manage all three of you from that tree.

I'm sure you have a few examples in your matches already, where you match with AB managed by XYZ, CD managed by XYZ, then XYZ themselves, all linked to the same tree.

You get all the emails, you contact matches of your mother and brother if you want to. You get the benefit of their DNA, they get none of the hassle.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go