Author Topic: Possible to contact someone with just UserName on Ances*?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to contact someone with just UserName on Ances*?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Margaret.  I've been preoccupied with a problem (not genealogy) during the past month, but I will write to my brother and mum today, asking for permission.  I know my brother won't mind and may actually be pleased to pass it on; luckily he has experience with websites, so he should be able to do it somewhat quickly.   ;)  Thank you again for posting.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried Gedmatch ? you upload all your raw DNA files (easier to do than it sounds !) As you have your mums test and your own, you can 'phase' them to make a test kit that only contains the DNA you received from your father and use that to look for matches too, I have had more success contacting people on there than on Ancestry :)
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi fallingonabruise:

I have not tried Gedmatch.  Actually, my mum and brother had the tests done (I thought it would be more helpful to have my brother try it, rather than me) but I would like to do so eventually.  I will try your suggestions as it would be very interesting to see if we can find matches.  While I am fairly satisfied with the (few) distant relatives we've found on my mum's side, I've located very few unknown relatives from my father's side.  Thank you for your suggestion.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)