Author Topic: Kilcoo  (Read 2784 times)

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kilcoo
« on: Saturday 28 October 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
A family member has passed and left to  his daughter a black and white  photo of an old lady Ellen Morgan from kilcoo, she is dressed in a very long plain dress, we do not know if she was single , or married.  I would like to know what era this is from. Any help please

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kilcoo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
from Ros Davies special Co Down website
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/MorganKW.htm
Once searching there are too many Miss  Ellen Morgan  in Kilcoo on these pages eg
Miss   Ellen   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Fofannybane; married Hugh O'Hagan 16 Jan 1887 at Kilcoo Catholic Church   PR
selecting to list all the Mrs Ellen Morgans might be the wrong road , but here is astart
Daniel   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Tullyree; husband of Ellen McClean ; father of Patrick bpt. 13 Nov 1834 & Ann bpt. 4 Jul 1836 at Kilcoo Catholic Church   
Francis   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Moyad; husband of Ellen Cunningham ; father of Michael bpt. 16 Sep 1841 at Kilcoo Catholic Church PR
Hugh   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo    husband of Ellen Morgan ; father of Ann bpt. 29 Oct 1846 at Kilcoo Catholic Church PR
James   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   husband of Ellen Canaway ; father of Hugh bpt. 13 Sep 1845 at Kilcoo Catholic ChurchPR
John   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Fofannyreagh; husband of Ellen Morgan ; father of Patrick bpt. 10 Sep 1848 & John bpt. 11 Jun 1853 & Ellen bpt. 25 Feb 1856 & James bpt. 19 Feb 1859 at Kilcoo Catholic Church PR
John   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   regd. Bryansford; husband of Ellen Madole; father of Bridget b. 17 Jun 1866 & Michael b. 7 Nov 1867 & Patrick b. 8 May 1868   CR
Mark   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Cross; husband of Ellen Morgan ; father of Thomas bpt. 2 Oct 1837 & Patrick bpt. 22 Apr 1841 at Kilcoo Catholic Church   PR
Patrick MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Letalian; husband of Ellen Keer / Carr; father of James bpt. 19 Feb 1842 & Michael bpt. 21 Nov 1843 & Mary Ann bpt. 27 Sep 1846 & Patrick bpt. 18 Feb 1849 at Kilcoo Catholic Church   PR
Patrick   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Fofannyreagh; husband of Ellen McDowell ; father of Michael bpt. 24 Jan 1850 & Rose bpt. 4 May 1857 & Bridget bpt. 26 Sep 1858 & Patrick bpt. 11 Nov 1859 & Bernard bpt. 18 Feb 1863 & John bpt. 9 Apr 1864 at Kilcoo Catholic Church PR
Peter   MORGAN   .   Kilcoo   of Fofannyreagh; husband of Ellen Kelly ; father of Ann bpt. 28 May 1850 & Thomas bpt. 14 Jun 1851 & Owen bpt. 23 Dec 1852 & James bpt. 31 Jul 1854 & Patrick bpt. 22 Nov 1856 & Bridget bpt. 8 Aug 1858 at Kilcoo Catholic ChurchPR

Next would be the 1901 and 1911 census.  If you placed your query on the Belfast Forum Genealogy you could reproduce the photograph on line there for identification of period. If you want other help try Ulster Folk Mueum or Ulster Museum
good luck

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much BallyaltkilliganG,   I did see some of them,  I know Arthur Morgan birth c1853 may be related,  he was my husbands  grandfather
 LouisaS

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
A family member has passed and left to  his daughter a black and white  photo of an old lady Ellen Morgan from kilcoo, she is dressed in a very long plain dress, we do not know if she was single , or married.

I would like to know what era this is from. Any help please

We don't know what era as we can't see it...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
It was a long black dress, she was  older, whish parents would tell you who every one is.   
I have written on the back of my photos, when I pop my clogs, they will know every photo, what they do with them I shan't  worry   ?/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, it's fairly impossible to suggest 'an era' without us actually seeing the picture. Long black or dark  dresses were in fashion for many, many years (if it is indeed black) and an older woman was sometimes not as likely to follow current fashion as it was the custom to wear garments until quite worn, turn seams and hems, re-cut to make new garments, etc.

If you do post the photograph for us to see please post the front AND back as photographer's details (if any), style of card, etc. all help to pinpoint the date.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 October 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
I will ask my husbands niece to have a look, my printer is not working on my new computer, busy son installed it .  Coming over tomorrow , you never know, he just might get it working

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 October 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Googling ‘Victorian fashion mourning’ and then choosing images is a useful starting reference , then try ‘Edwardian mourning fashion’ the differences are apparent.

was your husbands grandfather Arthur Morgan b 1875, son of James and Catherine Morgan living in 1901 in 13 in Ballymoney (Tofanny, Down)
I cant resist thinking the photograph if not Catherine to be more likely to be either
Mrs Ellen Morgan b~1823 living in 1901 at 1. 35 in Tofannyreagh (Tofanny, Down)
or Mrs Ellen Morgan b~1835 living in 1901 at 4 in Tofannybane (Tofanny, Down)
Queen Victoris was in mourning 1861-1901
hoping you can manage the posting of your photograph
good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 October 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Tofanny and Tofannybane are actually transcript errors from the census, and should appear as Fofanny and Fofannybane.

Good luck searching - there are a lot of Morgan from Kilcoo.
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)