Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Henry Turner, novelist?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Henry Turner, novelist?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Not getting far with his first marriage - I'm thinking Minnie must be a pet name, as there's no Minnie the right age b Honley area. There's a Minerva Earnshaw, but can follow her to 1871 with her second husband, so not her

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It's often short for Marion or Mary, but there are an awful lot of marriages of Henry Turners to Marys and Marions between 1851 and 1861 :( and a lot of deaths of Mary and Marion Turners between 1861 and 1871.

It's actually the Oswalds who are related to me so I can live with not knowing Minnie's full name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 October 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
As Minnie/Mary/Marion was young 30 - 40 ish (if she died 1861 - 1871) that could eliminate some if not quite a few?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 October 17 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Indeed. But ages are not included in FreeBMD until 1866, and even restricting results to London and Middlesex there are still dozens of them.

The GRO index has ages, but you can't restrict it by county - only by registration district.

There are no possibles in Marylebone, which is where they were in 1861. In Kensington there a one death of a Mary Ann Turner in 1864, but she was 29 so isn't old enough to be Henry's wife, who was already 29 in 1861. There is a 32-year-old Mary Turner in Islington in 1864, but without checking every death of a female Turner (since you can't search for Ma* on the GRO site) in every RD in London I can't be sure she is the only possible one.

Maybe if there is a really wild, wet and windy day when I really don't want to go outside I might attempt it ....
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 October 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
How about Wilhelmina for Minnie? There'll be fewer to trawl through.
Cowban

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 October 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
There would indeed. Good suggestion. I'll add Wilhelmina to the names to be trawled if I get that far. As I've said, it's the Oswald ladies who are really of interest to me, and it won't be the end of the world if I never find out what he full name was.

Offline Dr Rocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 March 23 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I just came across this and can add a few details regarding Henry Turner's family. His brother (my 3rd great grandfather) was William Alsey Turner, born 1828 in Bolton Lancashire, died 1888 in London. I have found William Alsey Turner in the 1841 census with his parents William and Mary (nee Alsey) where his father's occupation is recorded as Dock Police. Also in the record is Mary Turner's mother, Mary Alsey (possibly nee Lloyd). Interestingly Henry does not appear in this record - perhaps he was with an aunt or another grandparent? I would love to locate him to see if it casts any light on other relatives. Also I think there is an error in the 1841 record as William Alsey Turner is noted as being born in Middlesex but he was actually born in Little Bolton, Lancashire. In his birth record (1828) his father is recorded as being a book-keeper.
Both brothers (Henry and William Alsey) appear together with their mother in the 1851 census - by which time it appears their father has died. Interestingly on William Alsey Turner's marriage certificate (from 1856) it says his father was a Captain in the Army (Deceased). So he progressed from book-keeper to Dock Police then Army Officer (or Army Officer to Dock Police).
Willliam Alsey Turner started out as a wine clerk, went to South Africa met his wife and then on his return to the UK went into the Army himself, eventually retiring with the rank of honorary Major.
I have yet to identify any more details on his father or mother but am still looking.
If anyone has any other information I would love to hear about it.
James

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 March 23 16:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry l haven't heard of the writer but l thought and maybe wrong that Minnie was pet name for Martha
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
l thought and maybe wrong that Minnie was pet name for Martha
It could be, but it is not exclusively a pet name for Martha - it is used for quite a range of names.

See https://www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=minnie - but that isn't comprehensive because I know of Marions who were also called Minnie.