Author Topic: Help to id coat of arms  (Read 1554 times)

Offline DaveBos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to id coat of arms
« on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
I have some furniture that I believe is tied to the history of my home and its family.

The first seems to have dragons regardant on both sides in support with crowned lions rampant diagonally on both dexter and sinister and a castle tower in the opposite.

The second seems to have lions rampant in support with eagles displayed addorsed and a castle tower in the center.

It is certainly possible that these are just a total fakes by a furniture maker, but I like to imagine that these came from the marriage of two storied houses in the late 1800's whom had their coats of arms engraved into their formal dining room chairs to recognize their history. 

Thanks!!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help to id coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

I think the first picture is the arms of Queen Eleanor of Castle, later Queen of England.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arms_of_Eleanor_of_Castile,_Queen_of_England.svg

The second picture could be the arms of Castile (rather than Castile-Leon).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DaveBos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
 KGarrad,
Thank you.  Interesting.  Are you thinking that the furniture maker took some inspiration from those arms or are you thinking that these are a copy of some real version of those arms.  Certainly a lot of differences. 

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
My personal opinion is that it's a reverent copy of famous arms, rather than arms belonging to a family?
Happy to be proved wrong, though! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)